Translation of recess in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (of legislative body)receso (masculine) (Latin America)the Senate is in recess until fall
suspensión (feminine) de actividades (Spain)el Senado ha entrado en receso de verano or (Spain) ha suspendido sus actividades hasta el otoñothe court is in recess until tomorrowel tribunal ha levantado la sesión or (in River Plate area also) ha pasado a cuarto intermedio hasta mañanaExample sentences1.2 (American English) (Sch)
- It starts in August when Parliament, like football, is in recess, the law courts go to sleep and a lot of us are on holiday.
- He has so far rejected demands for a recall of parliament, currently in recess.
- After all, Congress has been in recess for over a month.
- School classes break for outdoor recess every forty-five minutes.
- In fact, I was pretty sure that the latest romances were the major topics of the staffroom at recesses and lunchtime breaks.
- At recess one day her teacher taught the class how to play hopscotch on the cement basketball court outside.
- 2 countable 2.1 (alcove) 2.2 (secluded place)lugar (masculine) escondido or ocultothe recesses of the mindlos recovecos de la mentein the inmost recesses of the soul/memoryen los lugares más recónditos del alma/de la memoriaExample sentences
- There are all kinds of heroes, working silently in remote recesses of our country.
- Many things have changed since then; sadly, the cultural shift has not penetrated into the darkest recesses of some areas of employment.
- Some actors are born to play the hero and others exist to illuminate the darker recesses of the human soul.
- With its metal projections and angles, wooden recesses and thin walls it has a serendipitous quality.
- The library has shelves built into the inner recesses of the walls to house the king's collection of books.
- The bed mechanisms can also be built into recesses framed into a wall.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.