Translation of recognize in Spanish:
- 1 (identify)(face/voice/person)
- She said she hardly recognized her place when she got back to it.
- They both were dressed like fashion models and wore so much makeup you hardly recognized them.
- At first glance one would hardly recognize the place from the pictures the world saw on television in 1989.
- 2 (acknowledge, accept) they were forced to recognize the gravity of the situationse vieron obligados a reconocer or a admitir la gravedad de la situaciónthe island was recognized as an independent statela isla fue reconocida como estado independienteExample sentences
- Throughout the world, paternity leave has been recognized as an important means of reconciling the professional and familial lives of workers.
- Excessive body fat, especially in areas such as the abdomen, is increasingly recognized as an important risk factor for killers like heart disease and diabetes.
- Networking with experts in other disciplines and collaborating with statisticians should be recognized as an important way to conduct research and disseminate findings.
- 3 (grant right to speak) (American English) [formal]concederle or darle la palabra athe chair recognizes the gentleman from …tiene la palabra el representante de …Example sentences
- As the presiding officer, he recognises those members who wish to speak.
- The gentleman's time is expired. The Chair recognizes Governor Thompson.
- The chair recognized Representative Hochberg to explain the measure.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.