Translation of rector in Spanish:
- 1.1 (Religion)rector, (-tora) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- The farmers now decided that they should also get some relief in their Tithe payments and deputations went to the rectors in the parish.
- Tickets are available from the rector, church wardens and the parish office.
- The eldest son is the rector of four conjoined parishes nearby.
Example sentences1.2 (Sch, Univ)
- ‘The font was used to baptise Dr Kathleen Lynn; her father was the Anglican rector of the parish in 1874,’ pointed out a local.
- According to the bishop of London the Anglican rector of South Hackney helped create the shrines, which were visited by the Queen in 1917.
- The Reverend William Matheus, another member, was assistant rector at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, a bulwark of progressive social causes.
rector, (-ra) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- When the site is fully restored, the local rector Rev Lynda Peilow and the Roman Catholic priest Fr Gerard O'Byrne will hold a ceremony and remaining family members of those buried there will be invited to attend.
- Both have been nominated by students as potential rectors of St Andrews University in Scotland.
- The rector is the senior representative for the university's 17,000 students and chairs the University Court, which is the governing body for the whole university.
- Brown, with his trademark long hair and tweed jackets, had undertaken a well organised campaign to be elected rector, a post unique to Scottish universities.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.