Translation of reduce in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (lessen, lower) [number/amount] reducir*; [tension/pressure] disminuir*, reducir*; [price/taxes/rent] reducir*, rebajar; [pain] aliviar reduce speed now disminuya la velocidad 1.2 (bring down price of) [goods] rebajar 1.3 (make smaller) [photograph/image] reducir*Example sentences1.4 [Cookery/Cocina] [sauce] hacer* reducir
Example sentences1.5 [Medicine/Medicina] [fracture/dislocated limb/hernia] reducir*
- A new one-piece case also reduces size and cost.
- This drastically reduces the cost and size of a tunable solution to the system vendor.
- It is not surprising that Europeans are prepared to pay a considerable amount to reduce the risk of such a change.
- She reduced the cooking liquid in a saucepan and added more white wine and spices before serving.
- Next, take out the lobsters, keep them warm and reduce the cooking liquid.
- Remove onions and set aside; reduce cooking liquid to a light syrup consistency.
- The dislocation is reduced at the hospital in Taos, but there are so many broken bones that I'll need surgery.
- Kocher's manoeuvre was attempted to reduce the dislocation.
- The dislocation should be reduced as soon as possible.
- 2 2.1 (break down, simplify) to reduce sth
tosth reducir* algo aalgo 2.2 [Mathematics/Matemáticas] [fraction/division sum] simplificar*Example sentences
- There is no need to reduce the proper fractions to their lowest forms - Euclid's algorithm will still give the correct CF.
- But Zu would know how to reduce fractions to their lowest terms by dividing top and bottom by the greatest common divisor.
- 3 (bring to undesirable state)to reduce sth/sb
tosth (often passive/frecuentemente en voz pasiva) their policies have reduced the country to poverty sus políticas han sumido al país en la pobreza they reduced the city to ruins dejaron la ciudad en ruinas they were reduced to slavery/begging se vieron reducidos a la esclavitud/obligados a mendigar he was reduced to tears by her harsh words sus duras palabras lo hicieron llorar he was reduced to the ranks [Military/Militar] lo degradaron a soldado rasoExample sentences
- A large part of the Paradise Hotel was reduced to rubble and the rest was reduced to a smouldering shell.
- They'd be reduced to blubbering babies, begging for their lives.
- Their houses, shops and factories were reduced to ashes.
- 4 [Chemistry/Química] reducir*Example sentences
- Likewise, when an atom is reduced, it gains an electron and becomes more negative.
- Reactions in which atoms of the same element are both oxidized and reduced are disproportionation reactions.
- During these reactions, the molecule that donates the electron is oxidized and the molecule that accepts the electron is reduced.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Venezuela, pasapalo is small portions of food that are usually served with drinks at parties, bars, and social get-togethers.