- 1 1.1 (lessen, lower) [number/amount] reducir*; [tension/pressure] disminuir*, reducir*; [price/taxes/rent] reducir*, rebajar; [pain] aliviar reduce speed now disminuya la velocidad 1.2 (bring down price of) [goods] rebajar 1.3 (make smaller) [photograph/image] reducir*More example sentences1.4 [Culin] [sauce] hacer* reducir
More example sentences1.5 [Med] [fracture/dislocated limb/hernia] reducir*
- A new one-piece case also reduces size and cost.
- This drastically reduces the cost and size of a tunable solution to the system vendor.
- It is not surprising that Europeans are prepared to pay a considerable amount to reduce the risk of such a change.
More example sentences
- She reduced the cooking liquid in a saucepan and added more white wine and spices before serving.
- Next, take out the lobsters, keep them warm and reduce the cooking liquid.
- Remove onions and set aside; reduce cooking liquid to a light syrup consistency.
- The dislocation is reduced at the hospital in Taos, but there are so many broken bones that I'll need surgery.
- Kocher's manoeuvre was attempted to reduce the dislocation.
- The dislocation should be reduced as soon as possible.
- 2 2.1 (break down, simplify) to reduce sth
tosth reducir* algo aalgo 2.2 [Math] [fraction/division sum] simplificar*More example sentences
- There is no need to reduce the proper fractions to their lowest forms - Euclid's algorithm will still give the correct CF.
- But Zu would know how to reduce fractions to their lowest terms by dividing top and bottom by the greatest common divisor.
- 3 (bring to undesirable state)to reduce sth/sb
tosth (often pass) their policies have reduced the country to poverty sus políticas han sumido al país en la pobreza they reduced the city to ruins dejaron la ciudad en ruinas they were reduced to slavery/begging se vieron reducidos a la esclavitud/obligados a mendigar he was reduced to tears by her harsh words sus duras palabras lo hicieron llorar he was reduced to the ranks [Mil] lo degradaron a soldado rasoMore example sentences
- A large part of the Paradise Hotel was reduced to rubble and the rest was reduced to a smouldering shell.
- They'd be reduced to blubbering babies, begging for their lives.
- Their houses, shops and factories were reduced to ashes.
- 4 [Chem] reducir*More example sentences
- Likewise, when an atom is reduced, it gains an electron and becomes more negative.
- Reactions in which atoms of the same element are both oxidized and reduced are disproportionation reactions.
- During these reactions, the molecule that donates the electron is oxidized and the molecule that accepts the electron is reduced.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The RAE (Real Academia de la Lengua Española) is a body established in the eighteenth century to record and preserve the Spanish language. It is made up of académicos, who are normally well-known literary figures and/or academic experts on the Spanish language. The RAE publishes the Diccionario de la Real Academia Española, which is regarded as an authority on correct Spanish. Affiliated academies exist in Latin American countries.