Translation of reduce in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (lessen, lower)(number/amount)
reducir(pain)reduce speed now
aliviardisminuya la velocidad1.2 (bring down price of)(goods)1.3 (make smaller)
reducirExample sentences1.4 (Cookery)
- A new one-piece case also reduces size and cost.
- This drastically reduces the cost and size of a tunable solution to the system vendor.
- It is not surprising that Europeans are prepared to pay a considerable amount to reduce the risk of such a change.
hacer reducirExample sentences1.5 (Medicine)
- She reduced the cooking liquid in a saucepan and added more white wine and spices before serving.
- Next, take out the lobsters, keep them warm and reduce the cooking liquid.
- Remove onions and set aside; reduce cooking liquid to a light syrup consistency.
- The dislocation is reduced at the hospital in Taos, but there are so many broken bones that I'll need surgery.
- Kocher's manoeuvre was attempted to reduce the dislocation.
- The dislocation should be reduced as soon as possible.
- 2 2.1 (break down, simplify)to reduce something
tosomethingreducir algo2.2 (Mathematics) aalgo(fraction/division sum)
- There is no need to reduce the proper fractions to their lowest forms - Euclid's algorithm will still give the correct CF.
- But Zu would know how to reduce fractions to their lowest terms by dividing top and bottom by the greatest common divisor.
- 3 (bring to undesirable state)to reduce something/somebody
tosomething (often passive) their policies have reduced the country to povertysus políticas han sumido al país en la pobrezathey reduced the city to ruinsdejaron la ciudad en ruinasthey were reduced to slavery/beggingse vieron reducidos a la esclavitud/obligados a mendigarhe was reduced to tears by her harsh wordssus duras palabras lo hicieron llorarhe was reduced to the ranks (Military)lo degradaron a soldado rasoExample sentences
- A large part of the Paradise Hotel was reduced to rubble and the rest was reduced to a smouldering shell.
- They'd be reduced to blubbering babies, begging for their lives.
- Their houses, shops and factories were reduced to ashes.
- 4 (Chemistry)Example sentences
- Likewise, when an atom is reduced, it gains an electron and becomes more negative.
- Reactions in which atoms of the same element are both oxidized and reduced are disproportionation reactions.
- During these reactions, the molecule that donates the electron is oxidized and the molecule that accepts the electron is reduced.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.