Translation of reduce in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (lessen, lower)(number/amount)(pain)reduce speed now1.2 (bring down price of)disminuya la velocidad(goods)1.3 (make smaller)(photograph/image)Example sentences1.4 (Cookery)
(sauce)hacer reducirExample sentences1.5 (Medicine)
- A new one-piece case also reduces size and cost.
- This drastically reduces the cost and size of a tunable solution to the system vendor.
- It is not surprising that Europeans are prepared to pay a considerable amount to reduce the risk of such a change.
(fracture/dislocated limb/hernia)Example sentences
- She reduced the cooking liquid in a saucepan and added more white wine and spices before serving.
- Next, take out the lobsters, keep them warm and reduce the cooking liquid.
- Remove onions and set aside; reduce cooking liquid to a light syrup consistency.
- The dislocation is reduced at the hospital in Taos, but there are so many broken bones that I'll need surgery.
- Kocher's manoeuvre was attempted to reduce the dislocation.
- The dislocation should be reduced as soon as possible.
- 2 2.1 (break down, simplify) See examples:to reduce something
tosomething2.2 (Mathematics)reducir algo aalgo(fraction/division sum)Example sentences
- There is no need to reduce the proper fractions to their lowest forms - Euclid's algorithm will still give the correct CF.
- But Zu would know how to reduce fractions to their lowest terms by dividing top and bottom by the greatest common divisor.
- 3 (bring to undesirable state)to reduce something/somebody
tosomething (often passive) their policies have reduced the country to povertythey reduced the city to ruinssus políticas han sumido al país en la pobrezathey were reduced to slavery/beggingdejaron la ciudad en ruinashe was reduced to tears by her harsh wordsse vieron reducidos a la esclavitud/obligados a mendigarhe was reduced to the ranks (Military)sus duras palabras lo hicieron llorarlo degradaron a soldado rasoExample sentences
- A large part of the Paradise Hotel was reduced to rubble and the rest was reduced to a smouldering shell.
- They'd be reduced to blubbering babies, begging for their lives.
- Their houses, shops and factories were reduced to ashes.
- 4 (Chemistry)Example sentences
- Likewise, when an atom is reduced, it gains an electron and becomes more negative.
- Reactions in which atoms of the same element are both oxidized and reduced are disproportionation reactions.
- During these reactions, the molecule that donates the electron is oxidized and the molecule that accepts the electron is reduced.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to