- 1 countable or uncountable/numerable o no numerable (allusion) reference (
tosth/sb) alusión (f) or referencia (f)( aalgo/algn) to make reference to sth/sb hacer* alusión or referencia a algo/algn, mencionar algo/a algn with reference to sth con referencia or relación a algo, en relación con algo
- 2 2.1 uncountable/no numerable (consultation) consulta (feminine) for future reference para futura(s) consulta(s) for future reference, you ought to get authorization first de aquí en adelante tenga en cuenta que primero hay que pedir autorización for ease of reference para facilitar la consulta she did it without reference to me lo hizo sin consultarme (before noun/delante del nombre) reference book/library obra (f)/biblioteca (f) de consulta or de referencia reference group grupo (masculine) de estudio reference point punto (masculine) de referencia for reference use only para consultar en sala 2.2 countable/numerable (indicator) referencia (feminine) our reference: FMH/cs nuestra referencia: FMH/cs (before noun/delante del nombre) reference mark llamada (feminine) reference number número (masculine) de referenciaMore example sentences
- They walked in the direction of the barn as he made reference to meeting her models for the project.
- The extent to which folk medicine, which I've made reference to, is practiced is a measure of the quality of the medical service available in that community.
- It is clear that both Messier and Bronfman had the TimeWarner / AOL model in mind when they made reference to music unfolding on the Internet.
- 3 uncountable/no numerable 3.1 (scope, remit) this matter lies outside the reference of the committee este asunto está fuera de las atribuciones or la competencia del comité that's outside the terms of reference of the investigation eso está fuera del ámbito de la investigación point of reference punto (masculine) de referencia 3.2 (relation) reference
tosth relación (feminine) conalgo to bear/have reference to sth tener* relación con algoMore example sentences
- The decision was taken without reference to the members who should have been made aware that a funding difficulty existed.
- It is clear the applicant made a deliberate decision, without reference to planning officers, to implement changes.
- We were left to make many decisions without reference to the office back in the city.
- 4 countable/numerable 4.1 (testimonial) referencia (f), informe (m) can you provide references? ¿puede facilitarnos referencias? they didn't even take up references ni siquiera pidieron referencias or informes 4.2 (person giving testimonial) (American English/inglés norteamericano) you need two references necesitas el aval de dos personasMore example sentences
- Mr Bradshaw handed in references from a previous employer which spoke of her reliability and honesty.
- She's really down to earth and has fantastic references from her previous employers.
- ‘I think any employer would want to do a fairly thorough check of references of previous employers of an individual,’ said Mitchell.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Bullfighting is popular in Spain and in Mexico, Colombia, Peru, and Venezuela. For some Spaniards it is crucial to Spanish identity. The season runs from March to October in Spain, from November to March in Latin America.