- [formal]to refrain (
fromsomething/ -ing) I refrained from criticizing himme abstuve de criticarloI tried to refrain from laughingtraté de contener la risakindly refrain from smokingExample sentences
- Of them all, Sainte-Beuve alone refrained from hurting me with foolish words.
- The serious complication of pneumothorax can be avoided by refraining from aiming the needle at an intercostal space.
- To avoid their after taste during dessert, we might have refrained from eating them had we noticed them sooner.
- (Literat, Music) you have to try harder, came the familiar refrainme salió con el estribillo or la cantinela de siempre: tienes que esforzarme másExample sentences
- These all seem to derive from the Folio text, but some may supplement it by accurately recording where breaks came between verses and refrains.
- Even Isaiah turns preacher in our text with a sermonic refrain repeated in verses 21 and 28.
- In these ten short verses, the refrain, ‘Do not fear,’ occurs three times.
- Musical refrains differ by virtue of the score or the performer.
- The fast sections are extremely delightful with slow sections having wonderful melodies and tender refrains.
- The arrangements are intelligent without being fussy: tuneful refrains for cello and woodwind, beguiling motifs for piano and vibes, emotional guitar and restrained drums.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.