Translation of refuge in Spanish:
- 1 (safe place) to seek refuge from something/somebodyrefugiarse de algo/alguiento take refugerefugiarsewe took refuge under a treenos guarecimos or nos refugiamos bajo un árbolExample sentences
- In my younger and more vulnerable years, I believed school offered a gentle refuge from the cutthroat savagery of the working world.
- Upland's owners bought and renovated the hotel three years ago, as a refuge from a high-powered life in the capital city.
- For many of these young MPs the canteen is proving a refuge from the long-drawn speeches and verbal duels in the House.
- 2 (for battered women)Example sentences
- Women are flocking to refuges and violent partners are moving back into the family home following the outlawing of temporary barring orders, according to women's aid groups.
- For many years Bendigo-based Julie Oberin was Chair of the Women's Services Network, the peak body for women's domestic violence services, including refuges.
- She said its aims were to encourage more women to report violent incidents in the home and to reverse the trend whereby women and children had little option but to flee to refuges and temporary accommodation.
- 5 (traffic island) (British English)Example sentences
- There, roads are generally free of cycle lanes, red or green painted patches, pedestrian refuges, traffic islands, widened pavements for cycle use and silly speed limits.
- Traffic calming proposals included the creation of a central refuge at the west end of the village to help elderly people cross the road.
- ‘There are likely to be central pedestrian refuges up to 1.8 metres wide,’ said planning officer Sian Watson.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.