Translation of relief in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable (from worry, pain) alivio (masculine) a sigh/feeling of relief un suspiro/una sensación de alivio what a relief! ¡qué alivio! to my great relief, she forgot all about it para mi gran alivio, se olvidó completamente del asunto the concert had not sold out, much to my relief por suerte todavía quedaban entradas para el concierto it's a relief that the rain's stopped/to sit down at last menos mal que ha parado de llover/que al fin puedo sentarme the news came as a great relief to us respiramos aliviados or tranquilos al oír la noticia it will be a relief for your parents tus padres se quedarán tranquilos, será un alivio or una tranquilidad para tus padres he provides comic relief in a gloomy movie relaja la tensión con una nota cómica en una película bastante pesimista I went to the movies for light relief fui al cine para distraerme I wanted some relief from the daily routine quería escapar un poco de la rutina diaria to give relief from pain calmar or aliviar el dolorExample sentences
- There were so many feelings in this room: happiness, relief, anxiety, anger and pain.
- Like a patient leaving the hospital, she stepped out of the house on 11 Bandfield Street and gazed at the street with a blend of relief and anxiety.
- I almost screamed into the phone out of excitement, relief, anticipation, anxiety, and every other unsure feeling.
- When other therapies fail to provide relief from the pain of a damaged hip, hip replacement may be the answer.
- Thus, the clinician's goal is to promote relief from pain and promote functional recovery.
- Is there a treatment that can bring relief from the pain and muscle stiffness?
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (aid) ayuda (feminine), auxilio (masculine) ([ de emergencia ]) famine relief ayuda para paliar la hambruna to be on relief (American English/inglés norteamericano) recibir prestaciones de la seguridad social (before noun/delante del nombre) relief agency/fund[ organismo/fondo de ayuda a los damnificados de una catástrofe ] relief effort gestión de ayuda relief organization organización (feminine) de socorro relief work trabajo (masculine) de socorro relief worker miembro (masculine) del equipo de socorro
- 3 countable/numerable 3.1 [Military/Militar] liberación (feminine) ([ de una plaza sitiada ]) 3.2 (replacement) relevo (masculine); (before noun/delante del nombre) [driver/crew] de relevoExample sentences
- The first day I worked in the OR, a relief nurse came to give me a break, and I began to look forward to the morning socialization and a cup of coffee.
- Once we had this physics lesson with a relief teacher because our normal teacher was off sick and Andy pretended to be deaf.
- The question remains whether the carnage that was wrought from the air and by the relief columns was strictly necessary.
- They also were significant in limited tactical actions close to the shore such as the prosecution or relief of sieges.
- So, in the summer of 1139, while Zengi was laying siege to Damascus, a Christian army marched to its relief.
- In 1646, on the anniversary of the relief of Taunton from siege, George Newton, the minister, looked around him and described it in a sermon.
- 4 u and c 4.1 (especially British English/especialmente inglés británico) (from tax) desgravación (feminine) 4.2 (redress) [Law/Derecho] desagravio (masculine)Example sentences
- There are some cases where judicial review courts give relief.
- The applicant in this case seeks prerogative relief under section 75 of the Constitution.
- Does this court have authority to grant the interlocutory relief sought?
- 5 5.1 uncountable/no numerable (effect) relieve (masculine) carved in high/low relief tallado en alto/bajo relieve to stand out in relief resaltar to bring o throw sth into relief poner* algo de relieve 5.2 countable/numerable (piece of work) relieve (masculine)Example sentences5.3 uncountable/no numerable [Geography/Geografía] relieve (masculine)
- Sculpture is generally classified into three major categories: intaglio, reliefs and sculpture in the round.
- The arch was inset with sculptural reliefs depicting the campaigns of the French armies in Italy, while in front and behind it there stood figures of Liberty and Triumph on circular podia.
- Although technically sculptural reliefs, these works speak to a number of painting's traditional formal concerns.
- It took one computer artist a full year to paint terrain relief on every plate.
- Furthermore, in choosing the forward edge, it is important to take into account terrain relief, the type of soil, and the depth of the snow cover.
- The focus now is completely on getting relief and assistance into these devastated areas.
- It has assisted with disaster relief in Central Asia, the Caucasus, Lebanon, and the Persian Gulf region.
- The services help the Corps build dams, waterways, roads and other national infrastructure, as well as assist in disaster relief.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The language of the Basque Country and Navarre is euskera, spoken by around 750,000 people; in Spanish vasco or vascuence. It is also spelled euskara. Basque is unrelated to the Indo-European languages and its origins are unclear.