intransitive verb relies, relying, relied
- 1 (trust, have confidence)to rely
onsomebody/somethingconfiarquality you can rely on enalguien/algocalidad en la que usted puede confiarI wouldn't rely on himyo no confiaría en élyou can't rely on the weather/buses
yo no me fiaría de élno puedes fiarte del tiempo/de los autobusesto rely on somebody to +
infinitivecan we rely on him to keep his mouth shut?¿podemos confiar en que no va a decir nada or en que no diga nada?Example sentences
- This is a situation where an ally, the United States, can rely upon us, can trust upon us.
- As members of a society, we cope with these complexities and uncertainties by relying on trust.
- It is impossible to grasp them in full by relying on a single, specific example.
- 2 (be dependent)to rely
onsomethingbasarseto rely on somebody/something enalgo forsomethingwe rely on the spring for our waterdependemos del manantial para el suministro de aguanever rely on him for helpnunca cuentes con que él te va a ayudarto rely on somebody/something to + infinitiveI was relying on you to lend me the money/on the device to workcontaba con que tú me prestarías el dinero/con que el dispositivo funcionaríaExample sentences
- You would think we would not have to rely upon public assistance to make ends meet.
- The charity relies upon voluntary support to provide the majority of their annual costs and support like this is very important to them.
- The charity relies on donations to provide its services free to clients.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.