vi (relies, relying, relied)
- 1.1 (trust, have confidence) to rely
onsb/sth confiar* enalgn/algo quality you can rely on calidad en la que usted puede confiar I wouldn't rely on him yo no confiaría en él, yo no me fiaría de él you can't rely on the weather/buses no puedes fiarte del tiempo/de los autobusesto rely on sb to + infcan we rely on him to keep his mouth shut? ¿podemos confiar en que no va a decir nada or en que no diga nada?More example sentences1.2 (be dependent) to rely
- This is a situation where an ally, the United States, can rely upon us, can trust upon us.
- As members of a society, we cope with these complexities and uncertainties by relying on trust.
- It is impossible to grasp them in full by relying on a single, specific example.
onsth basarse enalgoto rely on sb/sth forsth we rely on the spring for our water dependemos del manantial para el suministro de agua never rely on him for help nunca cuentes con que él te va a ayudarto rely on sb/sth to + infI was relying on you to lend me the money/on the device to work contaba con que tú me prestarías el dinero/con que el dispositivo funcionaríaMore example sentences
- You would think we would not have to rely upon public assistance to make ends meet.
- The charity relies upon voluntary support to provide the majority of their annual costs and support like this is very important to them.
- The charity relies on donations to provide its services free to clients.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is a public holiday in Peru (Día de la Independencia)