intransitive verb relies, relying, relied
- 1.1 (trust, have confidence) See examples:to rely
onsomebody/somethingquality you can rely onconfiar enalguien/algoI wouldn't rely on himcalidad en la que usted puede confiaryou can't rely on the weather/busesyo no confiaría en élyo no me fiaría de élto rely on somebody to +no puedes fiarte del tiempo/de los autobuses infinitivecan we rely on him to keep his mouth shut?¿podemos confiar en que no va a decir nada or en que no diga nada?Example sentences1.2 (be dependent) See examples:to rely
- This is a situation where an ally, the United States, can rely upon us, can trust upon us.
- As members of a society, we cope with these complexities and uncertainties by relying on trust.
- It is impossible to grasp them in full by relying on a single, specific example.
onsomethingto rely on somebody/somethingbasarse enalgo forsomethingwe rely on the spring for our waternever rely on him for helpdependemos del manantial para el suministro de aguato rely on somebody/something to +nunca cuentes con que él te va a ayudar infinitiveI was relying on you to lend me the money/on the device to workcontaba con que tú me prestarías el dinero/con que el dispositivo funcionaríaExample sentences
- You would think we would not have to rely upon public assistance to make ends meet.
- The charity relies upon voluntary support to provide the majority of their annual costs and support like this is very important to them.
- The charity relies on donations to provide its services free to clients.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to