intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (relies, relying, relied)
- 1.1 (trust, have confidence) to rely
onsb/sth confiar* enalgn/algo quality you can rely on calidad en la que usted puede confiar I wouldn't rely on him yo no confiaría en él, yo no me fiaría de él you can't rely on the weather/buses no puedes fiarte del tiempo/de los autobusesto rely on sb to + infinitive/infinitivocan we rely on him to keep his mouth shut? ¿podemos confiar en que no va a decir nada or en que no diga nada?More example sentences1.2 (be dependent) to rely
- This is a situation where an ally, the United States, can rely upon us, can trust upon us.
- As members of a society, we cope with these complexities and uncertainties by relying on trust.
- It is impossible to grasp them in full by relying on a single, specific example.
onsth basarse enalgoto rely on sb/sth forsth we rely on the spring for our water dependemos del manantial para el suministro de agua never rely on him for help nunca cuentes con que él te va a ayudarto rely on sb/sth to + infinitive/infinitivoI was relying on you to lend me the money/on the device to work contaba con que tú me prestarías el dinero/con que el dispositivo funcionaríaMore example sentences
- You would think we would not have to rely upon public assistance to make ends meet.
- The charity relies upon voluntary support to provide the majority of their annual costs and support like this is very important to them.
- The charity relies on donations to provide its services free to clients.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.