Translation of remain in Spanish:
- 1 (+ adj or adv compl) 1.1 (continue to be)(stay)her condition remains criticalquedarsethese laws will remain in forcesu estado sigue siendo críticocontinúa en estado críticothe best thing is to remain silentestas leyes continuarán or permanecerán en vigorhe remained cheerful despite everythinglo mejor es quedarse callado or es callarseif the weather remains finea pesar de todo no perdía el buen humorthe mystery remained unsolvedsi sigue haciendo buen tiempohe remained standingel misterio no se llegó a resolver or quedó sin resolver(se)please remain seatedse quedó de pieI remain, yours faithfully [formal] (in letters)por favor no se levantenpor favor permanezcan en sus asientos [formal]1.2 (stay)le saluda atentamenteremain here until I call youquedarsehow long do you intend to remain in the country?quédese aquí hasta que lo llame¿cuánto tiempo piensa quedarse or [formal] permanecer en el país?Example sentences
- Though a silver bullet does not exist, hope remains for improved weed control.
- However, uncertainty remains regarding the effectiveness of interventions to reduce lead hazards and blood lead levels.
- But even so uncertainty remains as to possible changes in the state of targets between the time of missile launching and its flying.
- She met and married her husband, Lou, and remained there for the rest of her life.
- I no longer wish to support my husband's application to remain in the UK and we are no longer together.
- 2 2.1 (be left) this is all that remains of the citya few crumbs were all that remainedesto es todo lo que queda de la ciudadthere are less than five minutes remainingsolo quedaban unas migajaslet me enjoy the few pleasures that remain (to me)quedan menos de cinco minutosthe fact remains that …déjame que disfrute de los pocos placeres que me quedanto remain to +sigue siendo cierto que …
infinitivewhat still remains to be done?certain questions remain to be answered¿qué falta hacer?¿qué queda por hacer?that remains to be seenhay ciertos puntos que hay que aclarar aúnit only remains for us to say goodbyeeso está por verseall that remains is for this last restriction to be liftedya solo nos queda despedirnosto remain behindlo único que falta or [formal] resta es que se levante esta última restricción2.2quedarsealso: remaining present participlethey spent the remaining day in Paristhe remaining ten pounds can be paid laterpasaron el día que les quedaba en Paríslas diez libras restantes or que quedan or que faltan pueden pagarse más adelanteExample sentences
- In the end, with absolutely no time remaining, a deal was cut.
- If the Court pleases, there are nine matters remaining for me to deal with.
- Twelve minutes remained to be played, and four more were added.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.