Translation of remove in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (take off) she removed her glovesse quitó los guantesthe radio can be easily removedla radio se saca fácilmenteto remove something
fromsomethingthe nurse removed the bandage from his armla enfermera le quitó la venda del brazoremove the lid from the boxquítele or sáquele la tapa a la cajashe removed a piece of fluff from his collar
destape la cajale quitó una pelusa del cuelloExample sentences1.2 (take out)
- He quickly went inside, removed his shirt and shoes, and looked at the two.
- He quickly removed her dress, shoes, and underclothes.
- Filling my palms with the cool water, I washed my face, then quickly removed my clothing.
extirpar [formal](gallstones/bullet)1.3 (edit out)to remove something (
suprimir or excluir algo (
- 2 2.1 (get rid of)(stain/ink/grease)a cream to remove unwanted hair
quitaruna crema para eliminar el vello superfluo2.2 (eliminate)(doubt/suspicion)
- It is this filtration that removes some of the harsher flavour in the whiskey and the end product is a smoother and mellower taste.
- The million organisms of live rock and sand break down the wastes into nitrate, which can then be removed through mechanical filtration.
- Excess chlorine can be removed by activated carbon filtration.
- 3 (take away, move)to remove something (
fromsomething)(object)to remove somebody (
quitar algo (
dealgo) fromsomething)sacar a alguien (can you remove this from here? dealgo)¿podrías quitar esto de aquí?(out of the way)the police forcibly removed him from the premises
¿podrías quitar esto de en medio?la policía lo sacó del local por la fuerzathe inhabitants/valuables had been removed to a place of safetylos habitantes/los objetos de valor habían sido trasladados a un lugar seguroto remove oneself [formal or liter]retirarse [formal]
marcharse (especially Spain)Example sentences
- You should be able to operate the chair with one hand, removing the tray and positioning your child inside.
- Alain was in a position to easily remove Howarth's pistol from its holster, unnoticed.
- Team members support both of the patient's legs as positioning devices are removed.
- 4 (dismiss)to remove somebody
destituir a alguien
- He writes his employer to say that he wants someone removed from his hiring committee.
- In September 1968 he was removed from all his posts and expelled from the Communist Party.
- Another joint sitting is then convened and if the motion for the removal of the president is supported by not less than two thirds of the combined membership he is removed from office.
- (change address)(British English) [formal]
- The following year Gainsborough and his family removed to London, taking residence in Schomberg House, Pall Mall.
- The civil service post was resigned and the family removed to the Isle of Man to avoid the punitive tax system of the time.
- In 1969 he founded The Honest Ulsterman, and in 1990 established the Poets' House at Islandmagee with his third wife, later removing to Falcarragh in the Donegal Gaeltacht.
- We were removed from our traditional lands, forced onto reservations on infertile land so barren we couldn't grow crops or raise livestock.
- A former NWFP governor, Lt-Gen I.H. Shah ordered a thriving pheasantry to be removed from Dhodial in District Manshera.
- Let there not be a repeat of what has happened in nearby Zimbabwe where thousands of squatters have been forcibly removed from illegal settlements.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.