noununcountable and countable
- 1 (for accommodations, office)how much is their rent?it pays the rent¿cuánto pagan de alquiler ( or de arrendamiento etc)?rent collector rent tribunal (in UK)me da de comerme da para vivir(tribunal que entiende de causas entre propietarios e inquilinos)Example sentences
- Rather than charge monthly rent, most landlords used to require tenants to put up huge cash deposits, often hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- A tenant paying rent to a non-resident landlord must deduct standard rate income tax from the rent paid to the landlord and pay the tax he has deducted to the Revenue.
- Breach of the tenant's obligation to pay rent gives the landlord certain rights, including the right of forfeiture.
- 2 (for boat, suit)(especially American English)for rentcars for rentse alquila or (in Andes also) se arrienda or (in Mexico also) se rentaalquiler de cochesse alquilan or (in Andes also) se arriendan cochesrenta de coches (Mexico)Example sentences
- From Nevada, tourist buses and cars can be hired on rent.
- 1 (pay for) See examples:to rent something (
fromsomebody)(house/office/land)alquilarle or arrendarle or (in Mexico also) rentarle algo ( aalguien)(television/vehicle)alquilarle or (in Andes also) arrendarle or (in Mexico also) rentarle algo ( aalguien)(boat/suit) (especially American English)alquilarle or (in Andes also) arrendarle or (in Mexico also) rentarle algo ( aalguien)
- 3→ rent out
- 1.1 (use in exchange for payment) 1.2 (cost to rent) (American English) this house rents for $1200 a weekel alquiler or el arriendo or (especially Latin America) la renta de esta casa es de 1200 dólares a la semanaExample sentences
- If you're traveling by plane in the coming months, chances are you'll be renting a car when you land.
- We landed in Las Vegas; Edward rented a car and we headed toward the mountains.
- The landlady lived on the top floor of the three story house and a few other people rented the other small apartments.
- [literary] (tear, rip)Example sentences
- Thus did ceremonies and their successful conduct knit up the repeated homicidal rents in the social fabric.
- He walked the edge of a yawning hole tearing a rent across the earth.
- They trailed in limp defeat, their once proud banners torn from the bosom of the sky, and bedecked with many minute rents and holes within their pale canvass.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to