- 1 (mend)(shoes/clothes)
- Led by the local district council and part-funded by the Energy Saving Trust, the 10 mill owners are installing new turbines, restoring blocked leats and repairing sluice gates.
- Companies try to protect their margins by selling additional services which consumers do not necessarily need, such as selling an insurance policy to cover the cost of repairing a faulty item.
- The restoration project involved repairing the roof, columns, and finishes; conservation of the art murals; and improving accessibility.
- 2 (redress)(error/harm/wrong)
- Although the government says it won't bail out the company, it has done precious little to repair the situation apart from sacking Subramanyam.
- Ford and his new executive team have already begun the healing process through a back-to-basics strategy which includes repairing relations with dealers and smoothing feathers ruffled by Nasser.
- They spent a long time repairing relations with Saudi Arabia and wouldn't therefore be involved, it seems to me, in an operation of bombings in Saudi Arabia.
noununcountable or countable
- they do bicycle/watch/shoe repairsarreglan bicicletas/relojes/zapatosdental repairsarreglos de prótesis dentalesrepairs while you wait the museum is closed for repairsel museo está cerrado por obrasmy watch is in for repairme están arreglando el relojthe engine/wall is damaged beyond repairel motor/la pared no tiene arregloin a good/bad state of repair, in good/bad repairen buen/mal estado(before noun) a repair jobun arregloa bicycle repair shopun taller de reparación de bicicletas
- (retire, withdraw) [literary or humorous]to repair
toretirarsethey repaired to their rooms ase retiraron a sus aposentos [formal or humorous]Example sentences
- What kind of maniac, moreover, would deliberately ignite 20 pounds of explosives without first clearing the area by several city blocks at least (or in my case, repairing to our finished basement a block away)?
- I did mix it up in those three weeks, though: the occasional sojourn in a hostel, then repairing to a restaurant with actual tablecloths for a meal with the parents.
- Before repairing to a local hostelry for beer, cosmopolitans, odd conversation about the noise cotton wool makes and other such essential trivia.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.