- 1.1 (drive back) [enemy/army] repeler; [advance/attack] repeler, rechazar*More example sentences1.2 (ward off) [insects/sharks] repeler, ahuyentar
More example sentences1.3 (disgust) repeler, repugnar I was repelled by the sight of so much blood me repugnó ver tanta sangre
- McNamara and Blight argue that the U.S. should pledge not to use force unilaterally except to repel an attack, forgoing sovereign rights in favor of the collective security of a multilateral organization.
- In the physical world, once an attacker is repelled, you follow up with counterattack.
- In the film's climactic sequence, she turns into a Ninja fighter who repels the attacks of a group of dancing Israeli sharpshooters.
More example sentences1.4 (by magnetism) repeler
- The mixture is an excellent material for coatings, according to Parris, because the zein portion resists grease, and the fatty acids repel water.
- The essence of Senefelder's discovery was that if the stone is written on with a grease-based ink and then wetted, the ink will repel the water, which in turn repels the printing ink from all but the marks first made.
- The glass, coated with microscopic chemical coatings, has properties which repel moisture and dirt, allowing them to be washed away during normal rainy weather.
More example sentences
- Then I asked them each to pick out one painting that he or she couldn't stand and tell me what it was about the picture that repelled or repulsed him or her.
- But there is, none the less, something in popular culture that repels him.
- The ritual, which includes the mixing of human ashes and blood then drinking it, might repel us, but our reaction sharpens the real distinction and gulf between the savages' lives and ours.
- Many everyday objects, including water and wood, are weakly diamagnetic - that is, they're repelled by magnetic fields.
- It repels itself from the magnet it was once attracted to.
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Chile (Día de la Independencia)