Translation of resist in Spanish:
- 1 (fight against)(attack/enemy)
resistir(change/plan)the window resisted all attempts to open it
oponer resistencia ala ventana resistió todos los intentos de abrirlaExample sentences
- In fact, if that's the motive of the government, them I think we've just identified the best argument for resisting the abolition of jury trials for fraud.
- Posters carrying the message ‘Prevent torture, resist torture and help victims of torture’ will be circulated.
- Such an argument resists many of the typical counter-arguments directed at potentiality as an ethical consideration in the abortion debate.
- 2 (not give way to)(temptation)I had to buy it, I couldn't resist it
resistirtuve que comprarlo, no me pude resistirshe found him hard to resistle costaba resistirse a sus encantosI can't resist chocolateel chocolate me vuelve locoto resist
-ingresistirseI couldn't resist telling her a+ infinitiveno pude resistirme a decírselo
no pude aguantar las ganas de decírseloExample sentences
- Gyroscopes create their own force through spinning, thereby resisting the effects of gravity.
- It strengthens the lungs to resist the effects of sudden changes in the air, and it healthfully braces and invigorates the chest.
- Some have acquired an armoury of genes which help them attach to cells, invade and damage tissue, colonise hosts, evade the immune system, and resist the effects of antibiotics.
- There aren't many who could resist the tempting creations and I thought it was only correct to sample the goodies.
- Those who are growing old may be unwise to try to resist these pressures.
- The girl gritted her teeth distastefully and resisted the tempting urge to spit at the man.
- 3 (withstand, endure)(heat/cold/corrosion)
- 1 (fight, oppose)(troops)she wanted to make changes, but the board resisted
oponer resistenciaquería introducir cambios pero la junta se resistía or se oponíaExample sentences
- Incredibly, the woman resisted and there was struggle between the two before the robber kneed the victim hard in the stomach and ripped the bag from her grasp.
- She didn't resist, but a fight ensued as other spectators intervened.
- Living together creates the illusion of having found adequate shelter and a feigned ability to resist in case of attack.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.