Translation of resistance in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable 1.1 (opposition) resistance (
tosth/sb) resistencia (feminine)( aalgo/algn) resistance to change resistencia al cambio to put up resistance oponer* resistencia to meet with resistance (from sb/sth) encontrar* resistencia (por parte de algn/algo) to take o follow the line o path of least resistance seguir* el camino más fácil 1.2 (movement) (+ singular or plural verb/+ verbo en singular o plural) the resistance la resistencia the (French) Resistance la Resistencia francesa (before noun/delante del nombre) [fighter] de la resistencia the resistance movement la resistenciaExample sentences
- A resistance movement emerged on a scale that the military had not anticipated.
- But many people said that it was the Italian resistance movement that liberated Italy from fascism.
- But the hopes of the resistance movement - 80 percent Communist - were dashed.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable [Biology/Biología] resistance (
tosth) resistencia (feminine)( aalgo) the body's natural resistance to disease la resistencia natural del cuerpo a las enfermedadesExample sentences
- He'd leave the windows open in winter so we'd develop a resistance to cold.
- The drugs used to prevent the body rejecting the new heart adversely weakened his resistance to infection.
- Sorry to bring up smoking again, but smoking reduces your resistance to bugs, lowers the body's ability to expel the mucus and lengthens recovery time.
- 3 3.1 uncountable/no numerable (to movement) resistencia (feminine) wind resistance la resistencia del viento 3.2 u and c [Electricity/Electricidad] resistencia (feminine)Example sentences
- The voltage and/or resistance and thereby the temperature of each thermistor is measured at several second intervals.
- Bolometers are devices whose electrical resistance changes with temperature.
- Input resistance was measured as the voltage deflection induced by a - 0.5 or - 1.0 nA current pulse.
- If the intent to stop this madness is forced to go through the path of resistance and violence, than so so be it.
- Support for the so called resistance or newer anti-occupation forces will mean bloodshed on a much greater scale than there is at present.
- The garrison of Kilkenny surrendered without putting up much resistance and Cromwell's forces entered the town without losing a man.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Did you know that Antena 3 was Spain's first private television channel? It began broadcasting in 1989. Its proprietors include the conservative newspapers La Vanguardia and ABC.