Translation of responsible in Spanish:
- 1 (accountable) (predicative) to be responsible (
forsomething)the window is broken: who's responsible?la ventana está rota: ¿quién es el responsable?those responsible will be punished a build-up of gas was responsible for the explosionuna acumulación de gas fue la causa de la explosiónwho was responsible for the flower arrangements?¿quién se encargó de los arreglos florales?to hold somebody responsible for somethingresponsabilizar or hacer responsable a alguien de algoresponsible tosomebodyresponsablethey are responsible to the committee antealguienson responsables ante el comitéExample sentences
- The law holds that such blame and censure are only appropriate if the offender was morally responsible for his behaviour.
- They called instead for a morally serious art, which would teach responsible behaviour by example.
- Western culture is based on an idea of an integrated, coherent, solid-state self and on the related idea that we are all equally morally responsible.
- 2 (in charge) (predicative) to be responsible
forsomethingser responsablethey're all responsible for cleaning their own rooms dealgocada uno es responsable del aseo de su habitacióneach nurse is responsible for five patientscada enfermera tiene cinco pacientes a su cargohe will be responsible for maintenancese hará cargo del mantenimientoExample sentences
- The engineers responsible for control systems care about around-the-clock reliability.
- Acute care nurse practitioners are responsible for routine management of patients in the step-down units.
- The general practitioner provided the nurse specialist with a workplace in the practice and was ultimately responsible for patients' care.
- 3 (trustworthy) that's not a very responsible thing to dohacer eso demuestra falta de responsabilidadExample sentences
- He also agreed that the head nurse in obstetrics was a highly capable, responsible, and conscientious nurse.
- Fireworks should be completely avoided, although if people did insist on using them, it should only be by a reliable and responsible adult.
- Even if the ice is considered safe, a responsible adult should always supervise children playing on or near ice.
- 4 (important) (before noun)(post)
de responsabilidadExample sentences
- But more surprising is the number of independent people wanting to take on such a responsible position.
- He was a highly respected attorney who held a number of responsible positions in city and county governments.
- But what about the poor driver, with no better accommodation, despite his responsible job?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.