Translation of retreat in Spanish:
- (forces/army)management retreated from their positionretirarsereplegarsethe waters are retreatingla dirección dio marcha atrás en cuanto a su posturawinter is retreating before the warmth of springlas aguas están bajandoel invierno está cediendo paso a la primaveraExample sentences
- I just received word that the enemy forces are retreating.
- The First Shock Army was retreating along a narrow corridor between two series of hills.
- When daylight arrived, scouting parties would work their way up over the hill in order to determine exactly how far the Army had retreated.
- 1 (Military) they were ambushed on the retreatsuch attitudes are now on the retreatles tendieron una emboscada cuando se batían en retiradaour forces are in retreattales actitudes están desapareciendomorality is in retreatnuestras tropas se están batiendo en retiradato beat a retreatvivimos un período de decadencia moralwhen I saw him, I beat a hasty retreatretirarseen cuanto lo ví, puse pies en polvorosa [colloquial]Example sentences
- They seemed to have made a cowardly retreat and were most likely shivering in fear from the sound of her giant robot's earth-shaking footsteps.
- Barely seconds into the conflict, and already the defenders are in retreat.
- These can weaken the enemy, forestall his attack, and potentially force his retreat.
- Sounding the retreat in late September 1903, Harrison signaled the surrender of the professional politicians.
- And soon the birds were flying everywhere signaling the retreat.
- Even now, as she rested and waited for the signal to begin the retreat, the color on Guo's mantle did not even fade slightly.
- 2 2.1 (place) their country retreat2.2 (Religion)su refugio en el campoto go on a retreatretiro (masculine) espiritualhacer un retiro espiritualExample sentences
- One can thus expand the definition of ‘adventure’ to include Zen meditation retreats, cello lessons, or medical school.
- During this time he also made pilgrimages to Sri Lanka, India, China, and Nepal to visit Buddhist sites and for meditation retreats.
- Bishop Robinson will be in Ireland in October to address the annual retreat of the diocese of Limerick and Killaloe in the Dingle Skelligs hotel.
- The elegant Mahogany Room piano bar offers a quiet retreat overlooking the adjacent brick courtyard.
- He wanted a quiet retreat to build his house upon and concentrate on his work.
- The central court is conceived as the largest room in the house, providing a common area and a sheltered retreat in summer.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.