intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 (rotate) [wheel] girar her words continued to revolve in my mind sus palabras siguieron dándome vueltas en la cabeza to revolve
aroundsth girar alrededor deor en torno aalgoMore example sentences1.2
(revolving present participle/participio presente)[chair/door/stage] giratorio 1.3 (center on) to revolve
- Imagine a fly walking across a man's head as the man strolls down the aisle of a speeding train as the earth revolves on its axis and circles round the sun in a rapidly expanding universe.
- Its body revolves in a complete circle while its wheels stay put.
- The crowd is dancing to an Israeli classic, revolving in a giant circle, arms around each other's shoulders.
aroundsth/sb girar alrededor deor en torno aalgo/algn the world doesn't revolve around you, you know no te creas que eres el centro del mundoMore example sentences
- An important element of the case revolves around which party initially contacted the other.
- It would have all the commercial elements with a storyline revolving around college students.
- The bulk of my professional practise has revolved around assessing and treating traumatized individuals.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Spain had three civil wars known as the guerras carlistas (1833-39, 1860, 1872-76). When Fernando VII died in 1833, he was succeeded not by his brother the Infante Don Carlos de Borbón, but by his daughter Isabel, under the regency of her mother María Cristina. This provoked a mainly northern-Spanish revolt, with local guerrillas pitted against the forces of the central government. The Carlist Wars were also a confrontation between conservative rural Catholic Spain, especially the Basque provinces and Aragón, led by the carlistas, and the progressive liberal urban middle classes allied with the army. Carlos died in 1855, but the carlistas, representing political and religious traditionalism, supported his descendants' claims until reconciliation in 1977 with King Juan Carlos.