- 1(before noun) (regiment)rifle buttde fusilerosrifle fireculata (feminine) de riflefuego (masculine) de fusilExample sentences
- If you might have to fire a rifle or shotgun indoors, keep your hearing protection near the gun.
- If infantry attacks on foot, defending troops cut off infantry from tanks and destroy it with machine-gun and automatic rifle fire.
- For many of the British the battle resembled Mons: determined infantry assaults prepared by heavy shellfire, met with accurate rifle fire.
- Prussian military rifles first mounted sword bayonets in 1787 and the armies of most other countries followed suit over the following 30 or 40 years.
- Johnston initially intended to create a black battalion that would include a Mobile company comprising Gilmer's rifles and additional troops.
- On the Moroccan side, security services with shotguns and rifles with fixed bayonets have met migrant workers.
- 1 (plunder)(safe/drawers)they rifled her jewel box in search of the ringle revolvieron el joyero en busca del anilloExample sentences
- As the victim, who is partially-sighted, sat helpless in her wheelchair, the men rifled through all the rooms in the house before stealing money from her handbag.
- He then managed to keep her occupied while he rifled through the property in search of the cash savings.
- Whoever did it was obviously looking for cash because they went through all my possessions and rifled through all the drawers in the house.
- 2 (steal)(money/valuables)Example sentences
- It is believed the thieves rifle letters for money or anything they can cash in, with birthday cards particular targets.
- The 18-year-old thug snatched his victim's bag and rifled his wallet before punching him in the face on the bridge across the River Avon.
- Dressed in his Garda tunic, the thief asked the woman for identification and rummaged through her handbag before rifling some cash.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than