Translation of room in Spanish:
- 1 countable/numerable (in house, building) habitación (feminine), pieza (feminine) (especially Latin America/especialmente América Latina) ; (bedroom) habitación (feminine), dormitorio (masculine), cuarto (masculine), pieza (feminine) (especially Latin America/especialmente América Latina) , recámara (feminine) (especially Mexico/especialmente México) a two-/four-room house una casa de dos/de cuatro habitaciones or (in Southern Cone also/en Cono Sur también) ambientes we'll hire a room for the meeting/reception alquilaremos una sala para la reunión/recepción single/double room habitación individual/doble the smallest room (in the house) [euphemistic/eufemístico] [humorous/humorístico] el (cuarto de) baño rooms to hire o for rent o (in British English also/en inglés británico también) to let se alquilan habitaciones room and board pensión (feminine) completaExample sentences
- One of the delightful surprises is the ceiling of the toddler room on the second floor.
- Finally, the attic conversion has added two further rooms with walls and ceilings panelled in white deal.
- On the first floor the master bedroom and en suite bathroom are both spacious rooms with high ceilings.
- They get the sign-painter's boy to help, because his family rents rooms in the schoolmaster's house.
- Gwen and her family lived in the upper rooms of a small house and I knew from experience that the smell of too many people in too small a place hit a person the second they opened the front door.
- He lives in rooms set apart from the rest of the house, to allow him some independence from his parents.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (space) espacio (masculine), lugar (masculine), sitio (masculine) there's room for one more cabe uno más, hay espacio or sitio or lugar para uno más there's no room for anything else no cabe nada más, no hay sitio or lugar or espacio para nada más they made room for me me hicieron sitio this table takes up too much room esta mesa ocupa demasiado espacio or lugar there's still room for improvement todavía se puede mejorar she's improved a lot — there was room! ha mejorado mucho — ¡y buena falta le hacía! there is no room for delay/error uno no puede atrasarse/equivocarse, no hay ningún margen para retrasos/errores I need room to breathe necesito mi espacio vital cat1 1 1Example sentences
- There is room in the safer areas for these children; householders have volunteered to provide it.
- The man sat down between two people, so she didn't have room to move to see his face.
- Small enough to be cosy, large enough to give her room to move if she wished it.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to