- 1 uncountable (substance) rubber check o (British English) cheque [colloquial] rubber dinghybote (masculine) neumático or inflablerubber goodsartículos (masculine plural) de gomarubber plantationplantación (feminine) (de árboles) de caucho or (Mexico) de huleExample sentences
- One advantage of this material is that it is more resistant to alcohols than natural rubber latex and vinyl.
- Recently, a coworker told me that there is an alternative to conventional rubber latex that is not a synthetic product.
- Many of the ailments were caused by the ammonia that is added to rubber latex mixture to keep it liquid.
- 2 countable (eraser) ink/pencil rubbergoma or borrador de tinta/lápizExample sentences
- Each case has been filled with much needed resources for the children including pens, pencils, rubbers, rulers and pencil sharpeners.
- They returned delighted, with pens, pencils, rubbers and badges - mementoes from the trip.
- We'll have the usual sort of thing for children like baseball caps, pens, books, CDs, rubbers and pencils.
- 3also: rubbers plural(American English)
chanclos (masculine plural) or (Southern Cone) galochas (feminine plural)
- 4 countable (condom)(especially American English) [slang]
globo (masculine) [colloquial]
paracaídas (masculine) [colloquial]
goma (feminine) (Spain) [colloquial]
forro (masculine) (River Plate area) [colloquial]Example sentences
- It'd be a good idea to back the rubbers up with some foam.
- A couple of beers and a few albums later, Jake asked if Mark had any rubbers.
- Didn't think I was gonna get lucky, so I didn't take any rubbers out with me, and I didn't have any change to get some when I did.
- 1 (in bridge, whist)rubber (masculine)Example sentences
- They couldn't beat Jill Schofield and Viv Williamson but won five of the rubbers, top scorers for Poppleton being Kath Halliday and Hilary Spencer winning 22 games.
- In the opening contest of the night Lismore City narrowly defeated RSL six rubbers to five.
- Appleton Roebuck against Wheldrake in division three provided quality tennis worthy of a higher division, the first five rubbers being drawn.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.