- 1 (collar) gorguera (feminine)More example sentences
- As low necklines gave way to ruffs of starched lace, enameled gold and jeweled necklaces hung to the waist and below on men and women alike.
- Throughout Lady Rebecca regaled members with interesting titbits and explanations of why the Elizabethans wore shifts, fur trimming, cuffs and ruffs, etc.
- In Elizabethan times the roots were dried and crushed and the powder was mixed with water and used to stiffen the ruffs worn by the gentry.
- 2 (on animal, bird) collar (masculine)More example sentences
- The tail has a dark band at the end, with a lighter tip, which, like the dark ruff around the neck, is evident when fanned open.
- In addition, bicolors have a white ruff, white legs and feet and may have patches of white on their bodies.
- Bird feathers used in mate attraction may form huge crests, ruffs, or tails: the male peacock tail is a case in point.