Translation of ruffle in Spanish:
- 1.1 countable (frill)volante (masculine) or (River Plate area) volado (masculine) or (Chile) vuelo (masculine)Example sentences1.2 (ripple) (no plural) the breeze caused a slight ruffle on the smooth waters
la brisa agitó or [literary] rizó levemente las aguas tranquilas
- The garment is often trimmed with lace, ruffles, bows and ribbons, optionally with spaghetti straps.
- Scalloped edges, lace and ruffles infuse the clothes with motion and make for an exciting silhouette.
- He wore pitch-black pants and a black shirt with understated ruffles at the neck and sleeves.
- 1.1 (disturb, mess)(feathers)
erizar(clothes)1.2 (irritate, upset) to ruffle somebody's pride
arrugarherir el orgullo de alguienExample sentences
- I was ruffled and quickly reacted by sending up the windows.
- I was briefly ruffled, because few things are held as closely and protectively as one's musical preferences.
- Yet she has never allowed petty jealousies to ruffle her.
- He grinned contentedly as he ruffled my already tangled hair.
- In the end, Lady Eleanor settled for a tender, parting kiss on each boy's forehead, affectionately ruffling his hair as she did so.
- There was a static snap as the television turned on and Reid walked back, ruffling my hair affectionately as he swept past me and into the next room.
- As when a breeze ruffles the surface of a reflecting pool, ripples ran rapidly across her vision, momentarily distorting the figures.
- A strong breeze ruffles the surface of the lake.
- A light onshore breeze ruffled the surface of the bay, a few feet away I watched a turkey buzzard or vulture fly by.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.