Translation of running in Spanish:
- 1 (jogging) running is a good form of exercisecorrer or el jogging or el footing es muy buen ejercicioto be in/out of the running (for something)there are five candidates in the running for the posthay cinco candidatos compitiendo or en liza por el puestothis has put him out of the running for the nominationesto lo ha dejado fuera de combate en lo que a la nominación se refiereto make (all) the running (Sport)
esto descarta la posibilidad de que sea nominadoir en cabezayou can't expect him to make or do all the runningno puedes pretender que él lo haga todo or tome todas las iniciativasJapanese products are making most of the running as regards technical innovationlos productos japoneses van en cabeza en cuanto a innovaciones técnicashis company has taken up the runningsu compañía ha tomado la delantera(before noun) (shorts)
de deporteExample sentences
- It's important to take it steadily when you first decide to take up any sport and running is no different.
- Now living and working in New York, she decided to take up running because other sports were so expensive.
- However, as with other sports, if good technique is applied, running can be both enjoyable and rewarding.
- 2 (of machine)Example sentences
- My son has a new head at his primary school who does no teaching and has no involvement with the day-to-day running of the school.
- In her role as manager, she was responsible for the day-to-day running of the premises.
- Head teachers look after the day-to-day running of a school.
adjective before noun, no comparative
- 1 1.1 (done on the run) he took a running catchla atajó corriendoprotestors were involved in a running battle with the policehubo escaramuzas or refriegas entre la policía y los manifestantesto take a running jumpsaltar tomando carrerasaltar tomando carrerilla (Spain)go take a running jump! [colloquial]¡anda y vete por ahí! [colloquial]¡vete por un tubo! (Mexico) [colloquial]1.2 (continuous, ongoing)(translation)
simultáneo(joke)I don't need a running commentary on each news item!
continuo¡no necesito que me comentes todas las noticias a medida que las dan!I keep a running totalllevo la cuenta del total
voy actualizando el totalExample sentences
- Not only do the running expenses continue, but they usually increase in times of drought.
- Still, as their winning streak drained the suspense out of the show, no event needed a running joke more.
- Like many Scottish men typecast by gender, Max's chosen career is something of a running joke amongst members of his family.
- 2 (discharging)(sore)
- But she had an offensive, running sore that lay open from below her knee right down to her foot.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.