- 1 (unhappy)(person/face)
triste(expression)to feel sad
de tristezaestar or sentirse tristeI was very sad at the news of his deathla noticia de su muerte me entristeció or me apenó muchohe came away a sadder but wiser personla triste experiencia le sirvió de lecciónExample sentences
- Every time I felt unhappy and sad I just ate what I wanted and made myself sick.
- The last twenty years of Plumb's life were increasingly sad, lonely and unhappy.
- As I saw him off at the airport, I was at once proud of him, sad and anxious - he was my little brother.
- 2 (causing grief)(news/loss)how sad!
triste¡qué pena!Example sentences
- I think it is a sad reflection on society that teenage girls can get pregnant.
- It is a sad reflection on our societies that we have to escape from reality in these ways.
- The woman who helped my mother was in a very sad situation, unfortunately not uncommon at the time.
- 3 (regrettable, deplorable) (before noun) he made a sad mistake when he married hercometió un error lamentable al casarse con ellathe sad fact is that …la triste realidad es que …this has been a sad day for sportsmanshipha sido un día triste or aciago para el deporteit's a very sad state of affairses una situación lamentablesad to sayExample sentences
- I now feel sad and inadequate that I don't have enough bookmarks to make filing and indexing them an issue.
- Food shopping as I've said before is one of the highlights of my pathetically sad week.
- Human nature and its failings are given a crude inspection, at times becoming a sad, pathetic spectacle.
- 4 (poor, feeble)(showing/effort/performance)he made a rather sad attempt at a joke
que deja mucho que desear
bastante maloquiso hacer un chiste y le salió mal