Translation of safe in Spanish:
adjective safer, safest
- 1 1.1 (secure from danger) (predicative) the money will be safe here his reputation is safeyou are not safe heresu reputación está a salvokeep these documents safecorres peligro aquíyour secret is safe with meguarda estos documentos en un lugar seguroto be safepuedes confiar en que guardaré tu secreto
fromsomebody/somethingat least we're safe from the threat of dismissalwe'll be safe from prying eyes/from him herepor lo menos no corremos peligro de que nos despidanshe's safe from any immediate dangeraquí estaremos a salvo de curiosos/de élno one is safe from her sharp tongueestá fuera de peligro inmediatosafe pair of handsnadie está a salvo or nadie se salva de su lengua mordazpersona en la que se puede confiarExample sentences1.2 (unharmed) (predicative) they were found safe and well o safe and sound
thank God you're safelos encontraron sanos y salvosall the passengers are safegracias a Dios no te ha pasado nadaningún pasajero resultó heridotodos los pasajeros resultaron ilesosExample sentences1.3 (offering protection)
- I hope and pray that the friends and family who mean so much to Sherry have survived and are safe from harm.
- At least here, they are safe from the dangers of everyday life in the worst of areas.
- Now safe from harm, he and his parents continued their journey and when they arrived in Timnah the lovers looked at each other and were pleased.
(haven/refuge)keep the medicine in a safe placeguarde la medicina en (un) lugar seguroExample sentences
- Civilian employers are concerned about your welfare and want you to return home safe and sound.
- Fortunately the missing person turned up, safe and sound, and the boat returned to its station.
- There is still time to hand in photographs all of which will be returned safely to their owners safe and sound.
- They say they chose the location for its outstanding beauty and the fact that it affords a safe place for their children to play.
- A civil order status, on the other hand, would imply that the area was safe, with security affairs controlled by the police.
- You see, Margo, most people want a job, house mortgage rates they can afford, a safe environment for their children.
- 2 (not dangerous) that ladder isn't very safeis the water safe to drink?esa escalera no es muy segurado you think it's safe to go out now?¿se puede beber el agua sin peligro?have a safe journey¿crees que ya no hay peligro y se puede salir?(que tengas) buen viaje
- 3 (not risky)(investment)he's a very safe driver it's a pretty safe bet that he will winsin riesgoit's safe to say that …(de) seguro que gana élthey opted for the safe choicese puede decir sin temor a equivocarse que …a safe seat (Politics)fueron a lo seguro(una circunscripción donde la victoria está prácticamente asegurada)buy six bottles to be on the safe sidewe'd better leave at four o'clock to be on the safe sidecompra seis botellas para que no vaya a faltar or para mayor seguridadbetter (to be) safe than sorry → play 2 5 2mejor salgamos a las cuatro por si acaso or por las dudasExample sentences
- With two out of every three deaths in Iraq caused by diarrhoea and respiratory infections, a safe supply of clean water is crucial to child survival.
- Because of this we decide that the water was safe enough to clean up in and drink.
- Fact: the vast majority of Scotland's coastal waters are clean and safe for bathing.
- 1 (for valuables) (before noun) safe cracker o (British English) breakerExample sentences
- Another successful selling point Abrams uses is the discounts many insurance companies give to customers who purchase fireproof safes for their valuables.
- Personakey's Touch Open locking storage cases and safes are nothing short of amazing.
- But not so lucky were files, plans and tapes stored in a fireproof cabinet and safe in Manhattan.
- 2 (condom)(American English) [colloquial]Example sentences
- According to the ad, ‘Julius Schmind would like to give you some straight talk about condoms, rubbers, sheaths, safes, French letters, storkstoppers.’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In some Andean countries, particularly Chile, onces is a light meal eaten between five and six p.m., the equivalent of "afternoon tea" in Britain. In Colombia, on the other hand, onces is a light snack eaten between breakfast and lunch. It is also known as mediasnueves.