- 1.1 (benefit, account) don't do it just for my sake no lo hagas solo por mí for your own sake por tu propio bien for all our sakes, just go! ¡por lo que más quieras, vete! those who died for their country's sake los que murieron por (el bien de) la patria they're staying together for the sake of the children siguen juntos por los niños not even for old times' sake? ¿ni siquiera por nuestra vieja amistad or por los viejos tiempos?More example sentences1.2 (purpose, end) he argues for arguing's sake discute por discutir art for art's sake el arte por el arte why spend money just for the sake of it? ¿por qué gastar dinero porque sí or (AmL tb) porque sí nomás? for the sake of argument o for argument's sake, let's assume he's guilty pongamos por caso que fuera culpable
More example sentences1.3 (in interj phrases) for goodness' o heaven's sake, stop arguing! ¡por Dios! or ¡por favor! ¡no discutan! for God's sake, hurry up! ¡por el amor de Dios, date prisa! but why, for Pete's sake? [colloquial/familiar] ¿pero por qué, caramba? [familiar/colloquial]
- It is our hope that the president will make a wise decision for the sake of national interests.
- At least certain parts of the city need to be preserved for the sake of posterity.
- Realistically, however, a line must be drawn under the amendments at some point for the sake of achieving the deal.
More example sentences
- In their view art education should be championed for its own sake, not because of a wishful sentiment that classes in painting, dance and music improve pupils' math and reading skills and standardized test scores.
- But education for its own sake is a bit dodgy, too. The idea that you can learn about the world sitting in your study just reading books is not quite right.
- Impatient mothers began urging their charges to finish up, for heaven's sake, so they could get dressed.
- He interviewed me, much to my mortification - people want him, not me for heaven's sake, but he knew what he was doing.
- But if you have to ride into town on such an old horse, for heaven's sake, ride it properly - or at least teach the poor beast a few new tricks.
Onda Cero is a radio network broadcasting on AM and FM. It is owned by Telefónica, Spain's most important telecommunications group.