transitive verb -pp-
- (drain, weaken)(confidence/health)
hacer tambalearExample sentences
- Your official passion for evidence is gradually sapping your brilliant intellect and smothering your instincts.
- Gradually but surely, that tiresome old anecdote has sapped my strength, undermined my constitution, withered my life.
- Over the past months, as I had tried unsuccessfully to fight colds and infections, a tumor had been growing inside my chest, sapping my strength and will power.
- Still, he's a flawed guy, and the Philistines capitalize on this by sending in top-secret operative Delilah, the seductive hottie charged with sapping Samson of his strength (no, not that way).
- Walking the short distance to the mall seemed to have sapped him of all his remaining strength.
- He planned to sap Elisabeth of all her powers, and then to take over the bridge and all worlds.
- (trench)Example sentences
- In the British army, a standard cry was ‘follow the sapper’, the term for those who, under engineer officers, dug the saps or shelter trenches used in the attack on fortresses.
- Immediately after the explosion, the besiegers could assault the fortress or extend their sap trenches into the crater and reinforce them with gabions.
- Major-General Pratt ordered his men to dig a long sap trench.
transitive verb -pp-
- They complained that they were not allowed to use bombs or to sap and mine the streets held by the insurgents, and they did not want to give quarter to anyone any more.
- The geophone, an instrument invented by the French during the War to detect sapping operations of the Germans underground, has been developed by U. S. Engineers for rescue work in mines, gauging tunnel borings, etc.
- The main section of this unit comprised of paratroopers, including those trained in sapping.
- (fool) [colloquial] [dated]inocentón, (-tona) (masculine, feminine) [colloquial]those poor sapsesos pobres diablosExample sentences
- The message I get from this ad is total jerks and saps favor Carl's Jr's.
- This writer's contempt for the sensitive sap alone on a stool with his nylon-stringed guitar is matched only by his admiration for the one-man band-similar, but so much cooler.
- You haven't dragged some poor sap along all this way, have you?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.