Translation of scarcely in Spanish:
- 1.1 (barely) I could scarcely understand what he was sayingI scarcely know what to answerapenas podía entender lo que decíathere are scarcely any supplies leftno sé muy bien qué responderapenas (si) quedan provisionesExample sentences1.2 (definitely not) she's scarcely a pauper
no es pobre ni mucho menosde pobre no tiene nadaExample sentences
- The reaction to it has been overwhelmingly positive with scarcely a critical voice to be heard anywhere.
- Democrats in Boston tacitly acknowledged the potential power of this message as the word ‘liberal’ was scarcely heard all week.
- The argument in favour of local shops is scarcely heard.
- Victory over the bypass was sweet, but plans to streamline planning suggest the fight is scarcely over
- While it certainly addresses that trickiest of topics, it can scarcely be considered a novel, at least in any conventional sense of the term.
- While polling suggests Australians oppose privatisations, they are scarcely new and are seen as facts of life.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In some Andean countries, particularly Chile, onces is a light meal eaten between five and six p.m., the equivalent of "afternoon tea" in Britain. In Colombia, on the other hand, onces is a light snack eaten between breakfast and lunch. It is also known as mediasnueves.