- 1 1.1 countable/numerable (of paper, cloth, leather) pedacito (masculine), trocito (masculine) scraps of fabric retazos (masculine plural) or (Spain/España) retales (masculine plural) she's just a scrap of a kid es un renacuajo [colloquial/familiar], es un escuincle (Mexico/México) [colloquial/familiar] she ate every last scrap se comió hasta el último bocadoMore example sentences1.2 (single bit) (with neg, no pl) there's not a scrap of truth in the rumor no hay ni (una) pizca or ni un ápice de verdad en el rumor she hasn't done a scrap of work no ha movido un dedo, no ha hecho absolutamente nada, no ha dado golpe (Spain/España) [colloquial/familiar] it doesn't make a scrap of difference what you think lo que tú pienses no importa en lo más mínimo
More example sentences
- All of the Security Council resolutions and condemnations would still be issued and still be ignored, scraps of paper amounting to nothing.
- The room fell temporarily silent as the three pieced together all scraps of information.
- He always had a treat for me; a piece of lard, scraps of smoked fish or ham served with a bright smile and a pat on the head.
- No amount of festive tips on the perfect table centrepiece or how to wrap an awkwardly-shaped present will make a scrap of difference.
- Without a scrap of make-up, the chocolate-box prettiness is still there: the clear turquoise eyes, creamy skin and chiselled bone structure are luminous.
- So you have an ethics officer in a department or corporation, but no one will take a scrap of notice of them.
- 2(scraps plural)2.1 (leftover food) sobras (feminine plural), sobros (masculine plural) (Central America/América Central) 2.2 (cracklings) (American English/inglés norteamericano) chicharrones (masculine plural), cortezas (feminine plural) de cerdo (Spain/España)More example sentences
- Never leave any food, even leftover scraps or candy bars, around your tent or campfire.
- For the raccoons, he left food scraps in a hubcap dish leashed by chain to a tree so the animals wouldn't drag it under the cottage.
- Remember, baits will only be effective if there is no other accessible food around, for example dirty dishes, food scraps.
- 3 uncountable/no numerable (reusable waste) is that paper (for) scrap? ¿ese papel es para borrador? we sold our car for scrap vendimos el coche como chatarra scrap iron o metal chatarra (feminine) he sold the car for its scrap value vendió el coche como chatarra
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-pp-)
- 1.1 (abandon, cancel) [idea] desechar, descartar; [plan] abandonar; [regulation] abolir* 1.2 (convert to scrap) [car/ship/machinery] desguazar* or (Mexico/México) deshuesar or (Chile) desarmar 1.3 (throw away) tirar a la basura, botar (Latin America except River Plate area/América Latina excepto Río de la Plata)