- 1 (implement, impression) the king's/queen's sealel sello realgiven under my hand and sealsellado y firmado de mi puño y letrathe seal of qualityel sello de calidadhe gave the plan his seal of approvaldio su aprobación al planit has the prince's seal of approvalcuenta con la aprobación del príncipethey put the formal seal on the agreementsellaron formalmente el acuerdothe seal of the confessionalel secreto de confesiónto set the seal on somethingratificar algoExample sentences
- The center has tested prototypes for food ecolabels - seals or logos indicating that a product has met a certain set of environmental and/or social standards.
- His seal was embossed on the right side of the bottom margin (difficult to see).
- Each course was listed, dated, signed by Fred and a raised seal was embossed on the page.
- The seals were generally cut from steatite and were carved in intaglio or incised with a copper burin (cutting tool).
- Sometimes the seals were not rings but stamps of other kinds, but if it was a ring worn then it was even more creditworthy as only the wearer could make the seal on the document.
- 2 2.1 (security device)Example sentences2.2 (airtight closure)
cierre (masculine) hermético(on glass jar) aro (masculine) de goma(around window) burlete (masculine)Example sentences
- He replied, handing her a letter with a navy blue wax seal.
- I looked at the inky black lettering once more before I broke the wax seal.
- The seal was usually impressed on red wax, but was occasionally seen imprinted on a wafer stuck to the instrument with soft wax.
- The quality of the new seal creates a tighter seal, thus protecting the integrity of the product.
- The molded-in membrane creates a much better seal than anything on the market today.
- Bah, humbug, I say as I scrape the mould off the rubber window seals.
- 1 1.1(envelope/parcel)
cerrar(with tape) precintar(with wax) lacrarsealed with a kisssellado con un besomy lips are sealedsoy una tumba
prometo no decir nadaExample sentences
- Improved packaging also includes using special wrappers, seals, or caps on the outer and/or inner containers, or sealing each dose in its own pouch.
- The viral solutions would survive the UV lights only because he would seal the syringes in an opaque biohazard container before leaving.
- Dried seeds were sealed in plastic containers and stored at - 20° to prevent them from after-ripening prior to use.
- And he sealed the document with the seal of arms that his grandfather had worn.
cerrar herméticamente(tomb/door)seal the wood before applying paint
precintarsellar la madera antes de pintarseal the meat before roasting (British English)dorar la carne antes de asarlaExample sentences1.3
- They have been working to make the gel suitable for sealing cracks in oil wells to prevent water seeping through, and have now been awarded a contract to use it in five sites.
- Frankly I'd feel much happier with a billion dollars being spent sealing roads in the outback than building tunnels and freeways in the cities which just generate more traffic.
- The water stress treatments in the present study used containers sealed with parafilm to minimize water loss.
- 2also: sealed past participlesealed ordersórdenes (feminine plural) secretasa sealed carriageun vagón cerrado
- 3 (affix seal to)(document/treaty)signed, sealed and delivered
sellarfirmado y sellado
- 4 (decide, determine)(victory/outcome)their fate was sealed
decidirsu destino estaba escritoExample sentences
- His bronze was Britain's third medal of the Games, sealing a remarkable turnaround in fortune after a dismal first week.
- Chasing a victory target of 80 after dismissing their opponents for 170 earlier today, the tourists sealed their comfortable triumph in just 17.2 overs.
- He saluted the match winner's wonder strike as York City sealed their first win in seven attempts with a stirring 3-2 victory over Leyton Orient.
- (Zoology) 1.1 countable (animal)Example sentences1.2 uncountable (skin)
(before noun) (coat/jacket)
- Others suggest that marine species were derived at least twice, with one lineage leading to the sea lions and the other to the true seals.
- It is among the type A influenza viruses, which can affect humans as well as chickens, ducks, horses, seals, whales, and other animals.
- For example, among true seals, the sexually dimorphic species, the northern elephant seal has distinct differences in diving behavior between the sexes.
de (piel de) foca
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.