- 1 1.1 the second time he rang mela segunda vez que me llamóher second husbandsu segundo maridohe had a second cup of tease tomó otra taza de téhe's already had a second helpingya ha repetido or (Chile) se ha repetidohe won't do that a second timeno lo volverá a hacerto give somebody a second chancedarle a alguien otra oportunidadevery second Tuesday/weekcada dos martes/semanassecond generation
martes/semana por medio (Southern Cone) (Peru)segunda generación (feminine)second homesegunda vivienda (feminine)1.2 (in seniority, standing) the country's second cityla segunda ciudad del paísour service is second to nonenuestro servicio es insuperable
- 1.1 (in position, time, order)en segundo lugarUnited finished second to Rovers in the championshipel United quedó en segundo lugar en la clasificación después del Roverswork comes second, family firstla familia está antes que el trabajo1.2 (secondly)en segundo lugar1.3 (second class) (Railways)(travel)1.4 (with superl) the second tallest boy in the class
en segunda (clase)el chico que le sigue al más alto de la clasethe second highest buildingel segundo edificio en alturait's the second largest city in the worldocupa el segundo lugar entre las ciudades más grandes del mundo
- 1 1.1second (gear) (Cars) (no article) 1.2 (in competition) he finished a good/poor secondquedó en un honroso/deslucido segundo lugar1.3 (British English) (Univ)upper/lower second(segunda y tercera nota de la escala de calificaciones de un título universitario)
- 4also: seconds plural(second helping) [colloquial]can I have seconds?¿puedo repetir or (Chile) repetirme?Example sentences
- Why, wait just one second… that's a gentleman on the stage!
- Everyone bought what was put in the basket without even a second's hesitation.
- In a second he was out of bed, running towards the burglar and ‘screeching’ at him to get out.
- (support)Example sentences
- Major supported her, and seconded her nomination for the first ballot.
- After the nomination was seconded, we voted on whether to give John a bid.
- The adoption of the plan was seconded by Councillor Richard Finn.
- Leader of the US delegation, then-Vice President Al Gore's view was seconded and reiterated by distinguished speakers from all over the world.
- That view is seconded by Robert Bryce in his book.
- All evidence pointed to it and his gut feeling seconded his view.
- 3 (of angle)Example sentences
- In actual numbers its resolution is about half an arc second, which is equivalent of seeing a five cent piece from about 10 kilometres away.
- For a gyroscope in polar orbit, it works out to be about 0.041 arc second per year.
- It crosses at a point 50 seconds of arc to the east of the previous year.
- (attach) (British English) to second somebody (
tosomething)trasladar a alguien temporalmente ( aalgo)Example sentences
- The mutual aid process, in which officers are seconded to other forces, has also come under scrutiny.
- This trend continued after Crown rule in 1858 and nearly all military engineers seconded to the Indian Army were British sapper officers.
- Reed was its national convenor, while Bone and Cook were seconded to work for the forum from their Rotherham Council jobs.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.