- 1 [Ling] oración (f) I couldn't finish the sentence no pude terminar la oración or frase (before n) sentence structure estructura (f) de la oraciónMore example sentences
- Start sentences with subjects and verbs, and let other words branch off to the right.
- A slight lift in the voice at the end of a sentence changes statement to question.
- The key word in the last sentence is in quotation marks because, as Tolstoy made clear in War and Peace, there are as many truths about a given battle, after it, as there were participants in it.
- 2 [Law] sentencia (f) he's serving a life sentence está cumpliendo una condena a cadena perpetua the death sentence la pena de muerte the court gave her a two-year sentence el tribunal la sentenció or la condenó a dos años de prisión, el tribunal le impuso una pena de dos años de prisión to pass sentence (on sb) dictar or pronunciar sentencia (contra algn), sentenciar (a algn) she is under sentence of death la han condenado a (la pena de) muerteMore example sentences
- He had also received separate suspended jail sentences for fraud offences.
- Once the prison sentence imposed by the court has been served, one cannot say that the sentencing court had it in mind that the offender should be detained unless it was shown that he was no longer a danger.
- Some US states, such as Hawaii, have far more lenient laws than Texas in such cases and would allow treatment rather than a prison sentence or death penalty.
Each of the 55 different administrative areas into which Spain is divided is called a provincia. Each provincia includes a main city or town, sometimes more, depending on its social and economic power. The provincial capital usually has the same name as the province.
- to sentence sb (
tosth) condenar or sentenciar a algn ( aalgo) they have been sentenced to death los han condenado a (la pena de) muerte, los han sentenciado a muerteMore example sentences
- Second, the judge must have already decided to sentence the offender to a prison term of less than two years duration.
- The learned judge had just decided he hadn't used the right phrases when sentencing the last defendant.
- Having been found guilty, all three were each sentenced yesterday to one year imprisonment.