Translation of serious in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (in earnest, sincere) I'm not joking, I'm seriousno estoy bromeando, lo digo en serio or de verasyou can't be serious!¡estás loco!¡me estás tomando el pelo! [colloquial]come on now, be serious! on a more serious notepasando a un tema más serioto be serious, I don't think it's feasiblehablando en serio, no creo que eso sea posibleto give serious thought/consideration to somethingpensar/considerar algo seriamenteto be serious
aboutsomething/ -ingI'm serious about thislo digo en serioshe's not serious about our relationshipno se toma lo nuestro en serioare you serious about wanting to change your job?¿en serio quieres cambiar de trabajo?Example sentences1.2 (thoughtful) she suddenly put on a serious face
de repente se puso seria or puso cara seriadon't look so seriousno te pongas tan serioExample sentences1.3 (committed) (before noun)
- These frank statements suggest that he is sincere and serious about exposing the problems and proposing solutions.
- If it was serious about a long-term commitment to Mitsubishi, then why isn't it willing to bail it out?
- Better to try to look half way serious about this now, rather than after the names break.
(student/worker)I haven't much time for serious study
- Her forceful personality and ease in the spotlight complemented the king's serious, thoughtful demeanour.
- These are serious, thoughtful people who are not in thrall to the restrictions of old ideologies.
- He looks solemn and serious, but I can remember how he and the other two big boys were holding in laughter.
dedicadono tengo tiempo para estudiar en serio1.4 (not lightweight) (before noun)(newspaper/play/music)
- Our culture forces serious music to function solely as entertainment or not at all.
- They are probably the only group around making any kind of serious music.
- Then a Saturday night show will take place at the Holy Cross Cathedral and will consist of more serious music.
- 2 2.1 (grave, severe)(injury/illness/accident)a serious mistake
graveun grave or serio errorthe water shortage is getting seriousla escasez de agua se está convirtiendo en un problema seriothings are getting seriouslas cosas se están poniendo seriasExample sentences2.2 (of importance, major) it doesn't need serious alterations
no necesita grandes arreglosI have serious doubts about himtengo mis serias dudas acerca de élthe only serious opposition to the proposalla única oposición a la propuesta digna de ser tenida en cuentanow they've gone we can get down to some serious drinkingahora que se han ido podemos empezar a tomar or beber en seriowe're talking serious money here [colloquial]no estamos hablando de dos centavos
- To allow that to happen is to put the child itself at terrible risk of serious injury or death if there is an accident.
- It is better to speak of an unlawful and dangerous act carrying with it an appreciable risk of serious injury.
- People deserve better - not just those living there but the motorists who risk death or serious injury every day.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.