- 1 1.1 (not frivolously) seriamente, con seriedad he looked at me seriously me miró serio don't take it seriously no te lo tomes en serio I find it hard to take him seriously me resulta difícil tomarlo en serio she takes herself so seriously se da mucha importancia seriously though (sentence adv) hablando en serio, fuera de broma seriously, when do you plan to leave? (sentence adv) (hablando) en serio ¿cuándo te vas?More example sentences1.2 (genuinely, sincerely) you can't seriously mean that no lo puedes estar diciendo en serio are you seriously suggesting that I must pay now? ¿así que lo dices en serio? ¿tengo que pagar ahora? I'm seriously interested in the subject estoy muy interesada en or tengo un gran interés en el tema
- They treated my questions seriously and thoughtfully, helping me to see how Christianity answers the issues raised by modern culture.
- 2 (gravely) [ill/injured] gravemente the scandal has seriously undermined the government's credibility el escándalo ha perjudicado seriamente la credibilidad del gobierno these figures are seriously misleading estas cifras son muy engañosasMore example sentences
- The successfully treated seriously ill are also affected by these service inadequacies.
- The new hospital will concentrate on very seriously ill children and specialist cases.
- Consumers can become seriously ill if they eat an egg that is not fully cooked and contaminated with salmonella.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.