Translation of serve in Spanish:
- 1(work for) (God/monarch/party)he has served his country/firm faithfullyservir ashe has served the company for over 25 yearsha servido fielmente a la patria/a su compañíalleva más de 25 años al servicio de la compañía
- 2(help, be useful to)his experience served him wellif (my) memory serves me rightla experiencia le sirvió de mucho or le fue muy útilit serves a variety of purposessi la memoria me es fielit serves no useful purposesirve para varias cosasto serve somebodyno sirve para nada (útil)
assomethingthe knife served him as a screwdriverservirle a alguien dealgoto serve somebody right [colloquial]it serves her right!el cuchillo le sirvió de destornilladorit serves you right for ignoring me¡se lo merece!¡lo tiene bien merecido!¡le está bien empleado! (Spain)lo tienes bien merecido por no hacerme casote está bien empleado por no hacerme caso (Spain)
- 3 3.1 (Cookery)(food/drink)go ahead, serve yourselves!we don't serve children here¡adelante, sírvanse!who's serving our table? (British English)no se admiten niñosthis cake serves six¿quién nos atiende?serves foureste pastel es para seis(in recipe)para cuatro personas(on packet)dinner is served [formal] can I serve you some more fish?cuatro raciones or porciones3.2¿le sirvo más pescado?(in shop) (British English) (customer)are you being served?I'm being served, thank you¿lo atienden?me están atendiendo, graciasExample sentences
- This recipe makes enough to serve four as a main course, more as a side dish.
- Thai food is significantly less meat-intensive than American, and half a pound of meat is enough to serve four.
- 4 4.1(supply) (person/area)to serve something/somebody
withsomething4.2 (Transport)the village is not served by public transportabastecer a algo/alguien dealgothe bus route serving Newtownel pueblo no tiene (servicio de) transporte públicoRiem airport serves Munichel servicio or la línea de autobuses que va a NewtownRiem es el aeropuerto de MunichExample sentences
- The basic initial idea is to have small buses, serving local areas providing daytime services to those most needing them.
- Would it be better to have a team of priests in a central house serving a group of parishes?
- As a market hall serving a bustling group of traders and agricultural merchants, it must have been perfect for the job.
- 5 (Law)(summons/notice/order)to serve somethinghacer entrega de
onsomebodyto serve somebody withsomethingthey served a summons on all the directorsshe was served with divorce paperstodos los directivos recibieron una citación judicial or fueron citados para comparecer ante el juezrecibió notificación or fue notificada de la demanda de divorcioExample sentences
- Writs were served on 30 councillors, who were jailed for their pains in September 1921.
- He said the minister would be seeking quashing of the arrest warrant against him on the ground that no summons were served on him.
- Empanelling a grand jury empowers prosecutors both to serve subpoenas, and to gather testimony under oath.
- While defendant was in custody awaiting an extradition hearing he was served with the Complaint herein.
- When the breath tests were completed, he was served with the appropriate documentation and released on a promise to appear.
- As a consequence, the police were unable to locate him to serve him with a subpoena.
- 6(complete) (apprenticeship)(sentence)he had served only a month of his presidencyhe served ten years for armed robberysolo había cumplido un mes de su mandato presidencialcumplió diez años de condena por robo a mano armadaExample sentences
- He is still liable to serve ten years in prison for traces of heroin in a needle found at his house.
- And after serving a prison term for committing a financial crime, he convinced the prison librarian to move with him to his hometown.
- These resisters are arrested, tried, and often sentenced to serve long terms in prison and jail.
- 1 1.1 (be servant) [literary] 1.2(in shop) (British English)Example sentences1.3
(distribute food)who's going to serve?to serve at table¿quién va a servir?servir la mesaExample sentences
- Called Serenade, the Victoria Road shop was serving its first customers today.
- The shop served its last customers on Friday after being based on Newmarket Street for more than 17 years.
- Mark, Andrew and Esther were in the shop front, serving customers.
- Isabelle received a cup of wine from a man serving drinks.
- The working committee thank all who came and those who prepared the food and served the tea.
- There are countless jobs and professions that are far more dangerous than serving food or drink in the presence of secondhand smoke.
- You are out there supporting and serving your professional organization.
- He served these organizations for some 23 years till his retirement in March 1996.
- I will continue to serve this organization with all my energy, wisdom, and passion as I have done in the past.
- 2 (spend time, do duty) See examples: to serve in the armyto serve on a committeeservir en el ejércitoto serve as mayorintegrar una comisiónser miembro de una comisiónthe serving presidentser alcaldeel presidente en ejercicio or en funciones
- 3 (have effect, function) See examples:to serve to +
infinitiveit only served to heighten tensionservir para+ infinitivelet this serve as a warningsolo sirvió para aumentar la tensiónit will serve as an exampleque esto te ( or les etc) sirva de advertenciait's not perfect, but it'll serve for nowservirá de ejemplono es perfecto, pero de momento puede servirExample sentences
- Also, officers have the added functions of setting goals and inspiring others to achieve them to serve this purpose.
- They do not satisfy hunger and serve no purpose other than to make the companies that make them wealthy.
- I don't think he serves any useful purpose for the Democrats.
- A sheet of red outdoor fabric serves as the roof.
- Elastomer and fabric device serves as both a seal and a filter.
- However, it just so happens that a human being standing on the ground near the object serves as a perfectly good conductor as well.
- 5 (Sport) it's your turn to servete toca a ti sacar or servirExample sentences
- Everyone fell silent though when the prince raised his racket and ball to serve.
- The players exchange words at the beginning of the game as Scott accuses his opponent of failing to tell him he was serving with new balls in the previous game.
- Before serving in the final game, Pierce had a trainer apply treatment and massage her aching shoulder.
- Safin made the crucial break at 4-4 in the final set, and served out the next game to clinch the match.
- He served out the final game at love, hitting a 119 mph second serve for a winner on match point.
- Davenport slammed three winners to serve out the final game for the win.
- she broke his servele rompió el servicioExample sentences
- In pro tennis serves can sometimes reach speeds over 209 kph, or 185 feet per second.
- With the big serves in today's tennis, I'm not sure this match will ever be equalled.
- In fact, he conceded only 12 points on his serve in nine service games.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than