Translation of serve in Spanish:
- 1(work for) (God/monarch/party)he has served his country/firm faithfully
servir aha servido fielmente a la patria/a su compañíashe has served the company for over 25 yearslleva más de 25 años al servicio de la compañíaExample sentences
- You are out there supporting and serving your professional organization.
- He served these organizations for some 23 years till his retirement in March 1996.
- I will continue to serve this organization with all my energy, wisdom, and passion as I have done in the past.
- 2(help, be useful to) servirhis experience served him wellla experiencia le sirvió de mucho or le fue muy útilif (my) memory serves me rightsi la memoria me es fielit serves a variety of purposes
si la memoria no me fallasirve para varias cosasit serves no useful purposeno sirve para nada (útil)to serve somebody
assomethingservirle a alguienthe knife served him as a screwdriver dealgoel cuchillo le sirvió de destornilladorto serve somebody right [colloquial]it serves her right!¡se lo merece!it serves you right for ignoring me
¡lo tiene bien merecido!
¡le está bien empleado! (Spain)lo tienes bien merecido por no hacerme caso
te está bien empleado por no hacerme caso (Spain)Example sentences
- Called Serenade, the Victoria Road shop was serving its first customers today.
- The shop served its last customers on Friday after being based on Newmarket Street for more than 17 years.
- Mark, Andrew and Esther were in the shop front, serving customers.
- A sheet of red outdoor fabric serves as the roof.
- Elastomer and fabric device serves as both a seal and a filter.
- However, it just so happens that a human being standing on the ground near the object serves as a perfectly good conductor as well.
- 3 3.1 (Cookery)(food/drink)go ahead, serve yourselves!
servir¡adelante, sírvanse!we don't serve children hereno se admiten niñoswho's serving our table? (British English)¿quién nos atiende?this cake serves sixeste pastel es para seisserves four(in recipe) para cuatro personas(on packet) cuatro raciones or porcionesdinner is served [formal] can I serve you some more fish?¿le sirvo más pescado?Example sentences
- Isabelle received a cup of wine from a man serving drinks.
- The working committee thank all who came and those who prepared the food and served the tea.
- There are countless jobs and professions that are far more dangerous than serving food or drink in the presence of secondhand smoke.
(in shop) (British English) (customer)are you being served?
- This recipe makes enough to serve four as a main course, more as a side dish.
- Thai food is significantly less meat-intensive than American, and half a pound of meat is enough to serve four.
atender¿lo atienden?I'm being served, thank youme están atendiendo, gracias
- 4 4.1(supply) (person/area)to serve something/somebody
withsomethingabastecer a algo/alguien dealgoExample sentences4.2 (Transport)the village is not served by public transport
el pueblo no tiene (servicio de) transporte públicothe bus route serving Newtownel servicio or la línea de autobuses que va a NewtownRiem airport serves MunichRiem es el aeropuerto de Munich
- The basic initial idea is to have small buses, serving local areas providing daytime services to those most needing them.
- Would it be better to have a team of priests in a central house serving a group of parishes?
- As a market hall serving a bustling group of traders and agricultural merchants, it must have been perfect for the job.
- 5 (Law)(summons/notice/order)to serve something
hacer entrega de
onsomebodyto serve somebody withsomethingthey served a summons on all the directorstodos los directivos recibieron una citación judicial or fueron citados para comparecer ante el juezshe was served with divorce papersrecibió notificación or fue notificada de la demanda de divorcioExample sentences
- Writs were served on 30 councillors, who were jailed for their pains in September 1921.
- He said the minister would be seeking quashing of the arrest warrant against him on the ground that no summons were served on him.
- Empanelling a grand jury empowers prosecutors both to serve subpoenas, and to gather testimony under oath.
- While defendant was in custody awaiting an extradition hearing he was served with the Complaint herein.
- When the breath tests were completed, he was served with the appropriate documentation and released on a promise to appear.
- As a consequence, the police were unable to locate him to serve him with a subpoena.
- 6(complete) (apprenticeship)
hacer(sentence)he had served only a month of his presidency
cumplirsolo había cumplido un mes de su mandato presidencialhe served ten years for armed robberycumplió diez años de condena por robo a mano armadaExample sentences
- He is still liable to serve ten years in prison for traces of heroin in a needle found at his house.
- And after serving a prison term for committing a financial crime, he convinced the prison librarian to move with him to his hometown.
- These resisters are arrested, tried, and often sentenced to serve long terms in prison and jail.
- 7 (Sport)to serve the ball/shuttlecock to serve a double faulthacer una doble faltaExample sentences
- Everyone fell silent though when the prince raised his racket and ball to serve.
- The players exchange words at the beginning of the game as Scott accuses his opponent of failing to tell him he was serving with new balls in the previous game.
- Before serving in the final game, Pierce had a trainer apply treatment and massage her aching shoulder.
- Safin made the crucial break at 4-4 in the final set, and served out the next game to clinch the match.
- He served out the final game at love, hitting a 119 mph second serve for a winner on match point.
- Davenport slammed three winners to serve out the final game for the win.
- 2 (spend time, do duty) to serve in the armyservir en el ejércitoto serve on a committeeintegrar una comisiónto serve as mayor
ser miembro de una comisiónser alcaldethe serving presidentel presidente en ejercicio or en funciones
- 3 (have effect, function)to serve to +
infinitiveservirit only served to heighten tension para+ infinitivesolo sirvió para aumentar la tensiónlet this serve as a warningque esto te ( or les etc) sirva de advertenciait will serve as an exampleservirá de ejemploit's not perfect, but it'll serve for nowno es perfecto, pero de momento puede servirExample sentences
- Also, officers have the added functions of setting goals and inspiring others to achieve them to serve this purpose.
- They do not satisfy hunger and serve no purpose other than to make the companies that make them wealthy.
- I don't think he serves any useful purpose for the Democrats.
- she broke his servele rompió el servicioExample sentences
- In pro tennis serves can sometimes reach speeds over 209 kph, or 185 feet per second.
- With the big serves in today's tennis, I'm not sure this match will ever be equalled.
- In fact, he conceded only 12 points on his serve in nine service games.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.