Translation of service in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable 1.1 (duty, work) servicio (masculine) a life of service to others una vida al servicio de los demás she did voluntary service trabajó como voluntaria on active service [Military/Militar] en servicio activo five years' (length of) service cinco años de antigüedad or de trabajoExample sentences1.2 (as domestic servant) she was in service with a duke servía en casa de un duque he went into service in 1932 se puso a trabajar como criado en 1932 1.3 (given by a tool, machine) you'll get years of service from this iron esta plancha le durará años this car has given (me) good service over the years este coche me ha prestado muy buen servicio a lo largo de los años these boots have seen a lot of service estas botas tienen mucho trote [colloquial/familiar] the photocopier is out of service la fotocopiadora no funciona to come into service entrar en servicio or en funcionamiento
- The period of service must, however, be lawful employment.
- Pay records would show no service during this time period because he was not paid!
- A 1696 scheme for registering seamen for limited periods of service was abandoned in 1711.
- 2 u and c (of professional, tradesman, company) servicio (masculine) 24-hour emergency service servicio de emergencia (durante) las 24 horas del día goods and services bienes (masculine plural) y servicios to offer one's services ofrecer* sus ( or mis etc) servicios we no longer require your services ya no precisamos sus servicios it's all part of the service todo es parte del servicio services 1 mile (British English/inglés británico) área de servicio a 1 milla
- 3 c and u (assistance) servicio (masculine) she has done us all a service nos ha hecho a todos un favor or servicio my staff are at your service mis empleados están a sus órdenes or a su entera disposición or a su servicio David Andrews at your service David Andrews, para servirla or a sus órdenes I'd like to be of service, but … me gustaría poder ayudar, pero … how can I be of service to you? ¿en qué puedo ayudarlo or servirlo? your advice was of great service to me [formal] su consejo me fue sumamente útilExample sentences
- With more than six decades of voluntary service to her credit, she has not yet called it a day.
- It is usually difficult for a institution to run totally on voluntary service, without any funding.
- Whatever the level of voluntary service, we want to hear from you.
- 4 countable/numerable (organization, system) servicio (masculine) telephone/postal service servicio telefónico/postal the bus/rail service el servicio de autobuses/trenes there's a daily/an hourly service to Boston hay un servicio diario/un tren ( or autobús etc) cada hora a Boston a new scheduled service to Dubai un nuevo servicio regular a Dubai this service terminates here este es el final del trayecto the emergency services los servicios de emergenciaExample sentences
- The country is still a mess, with deteriorating services like water and electricity.
- Essential public services, like water supply, have no place in trade agreement agenda of the WTO.
- All that will be required of them is to pay for services like water, electricity and refuse removal.
- 5 [Military/Militar] the (armed) services las fuerzas armadas which service was he in? ¿en qué cuerpo estaba? the senior service la marina (before noun/delante del nombre) [chief/life] militar; [wife/family] de militar, de miembro de las fuerzas armadasExample sentences
- Are the services anticipating the changing nature of future conflict in their wargaming?
- He met his wife, who has also served in the Territorial Army and Auxiliary Air Force, through the services.
- His appointment signaled a renaissance of the warrior ethic throughout the services.
- 6 uncountable/no numerable (in shop, restaurant) servicio (masculine) service not included servicio no incluido table o (British English/inglés británico) waiter service servicio de camarero or (Colombia) (Mexico/México) de meseros or (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) (Peru/Perú) de mozos or (Venezuela) de mesonerosExample sentences
- He is determined to retain the major water customers by improving service and offering advice on water and waste management.
- Edel aims to provide experienced advice and professional service to all her customers.
- This will allow it to continue to sink all its money into sales and service.
- We had to teach them everything from service to food to cleaning, even personal hygiene.
- The fact the he is a regular customer speaks volumes for the quality of the food and friendly service.
- You'll return to the establishment again and again because the food and service was so good.
- 7 c and u (overhaul, maintenance) revisión (feminine), servicio (masculine) (Latin America/América Latina) , service (masculine) (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) the annual service la revisión or (Latin America/América Latina) el servicio or (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) el service anual (before noun/delante del nombre) [contract/package] de mantenimiento service engineer técnico, (masculine, feminine) de mantenimientoExample sentences
- It had failed to refill the gearbox with oil during the pre-delivery service of the car.
- I had to take my car in for a service after squash and had meant to check under the seats in case it had slipped out of my pocket, but forgot.
- By some good fortune we made it to Vals on time, then proceeded to our hotel where we had a bite to eat and then gave the car a service with Jim and the gang.
- 8 countable/numerable [Religion/Religión] oficio (masculine) religioso funeral service funeral (masculine) wedding service ceremonia (feminine) de bodaExample sentences
- I point out that the wedding is a service of worship in which God is the focus and our goal is to please Him.
- One of the team's goals is to pray during worship services for the church's leaders and ministry.
- One tends to find greater respect for the liturgical nature of our common worship in Anglican services.
- 9 countable/numerable (in tennis) servicio (masculine), saque (masculine) you should improve your service deberías mejorar el servicio or saque first/second service! ¡primer/segundo saque or servicio! service Pombo servicio de Pombo to break sb's service romper* el servicio de algn, romperle* el servicio a algn (before noun/delante del nombre) [line] de servicio, de saque service break ruptura (feminine) de servicioExample sentences
- We are on the balls of our feet, like tennis players awaiting service, anxiously twiddling our sticks.
- Jenkins served the first four services of the third game, picking up one ace in the process of doing so.
- 10 countable/numerable(dinner service)vajilla (feminine) tea/coffee service juego (masculine) or servicio (masculine) de té/café
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (overhaul, maintain) [car] hacerle* una revisión or (Latin America/América Latina) un servicio or (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) un service a; [machine/appliance] hacerle* el mantenimiento a
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Radio broadcasting in Spain began in the 1920s. The state-run Radio Nacional de España (RNE) was established during the Civil War. There are many private radio stations and they compete fiercely. Radio personalities are paid huge salaries, out of which they employ the staff for their programs.