Translation of service in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (duty, work) a life of service to othersshe did voluntary serviceuna vida al servicio de los demáson active service (Military) five years' (length of) servicetrabajó como voluntariacinco años de antigüedad or de trabajoExample sentences1.2 (as domestic servant) See examples: she was in service with a duke
he went into service in 1932servía en casa de un duque1.3 (given by a tool, machine) See examples: you'll get years of service from this ironse puso a trabajar como criado en 1932this car has given (me) good service over the yearsesta plancha le durará añosthese boots have seen a lot of serviceeste coche me ha prestado muy buen servicio a lo largo de los añosthe photocopier is out of serviceestas botas tienen mucho trote [colloquial]to come into servicela fotocopiadora no funcionaentrar en servicio or en funcionamiento
- The period of service must, however, be lawful employment.
- Pay records would show no service during this time period because he was not paid!
- A 1696 scheme for registering seamen for limited periods of service was abandoned in 1711.
- 2 uncountable and countable (of professional, tradesman, company) 24-hour emergency servicegoods and servicesservicio de emergencia (durante) las 24 horas del díato offer one's servicesbienes (masculine plural) y servicioswe no longer require your servicesofrecer sus ( or mis etc) serviciosit's all part of the serviceya no precisamos sus serviciosservices 1 mile (British English)todo es parte del servicioárea de servicio a 1 milla
- 3 countable or uncountable (assistance) she has done us all a servicemy staff are at your servicenos ha hecho a todos un favor or servicioDavid Andrews at your servicemis empleados están a sus órdenes or a su entera disposición or a su servicioI'd like to be of service, but …David Andrews, para servirla or a sus órdeneshow can I be of service to you?me gustaría poder ayudar, pero …your advice was of great service to me [formal]¿en qué puedo ayudarlo or servirlo?su consejo me fue sumamente útilExample sentences
- With more than six decades of voluntary service to her credit, she has not yet called it a day.
- It is usually difficult for a institution to run totally on voluntary service, without any funding.
- Whatever the level of voluntary service, we want to hear from you.
- 4 countable (organization, system) telephone/postal servicethe bus/rail serviceservicio telefónico/postalthere's a daily/an hourly service to Bostonel servicio de autobuses/trenesa new scheduled service to Dubaihay un servicio diario/un tren ( or autobús etc) cada hora a Bostonthis service terminates hereun nuevo servicio regular a Dubaithe emergency serviceseste es el final del trayectolos servicios de emergenciaExample sentences
- The country is still a mess, with deteriorating services like water and electricity.
- Essential public services, like water supply, have no place in trade agreement agenda of the WTO.
- All that will be required of them is to pay for services like water, electricity and refuse removal.
- 5 (Military)the (armed) serviceswhich service was he in?las fuerzas armadasthe senior service¿en qué cuerpo estaba?la marina(before noun) (chief/life)(wife/family)de militarde miembro de las fuerzas armadasExample sentences
- Are the services anticipating the changing nature of future conflict in their wargaming?
- He met his wife, who has also served in the Territorial Army and Auxiliary Air Force, through the services.
- His appointment signaled a renaissance of the warrior ethic throughout the services.
- 6 uncountable (in shop, restaurant) service not includedtable o (British English) waiter serviceservicio no incluidoservicio de camarero or (Colombia) (Mexico) de meseros or (Southern Cone) (Peru) de mozos or (Venezuela) de mesonerosExample sentences
- He is determined to retain the major water customers by improving service and offering advice on water and waste management.
- Edel aims to provide experienced advice and professional service to all her customers.
- This will allow it to continue to sink all its money into sales and service.
- We had to teach them everything from service to food to cleaning, even personal hygiene.
- The fact the he is a regular customer speaks volumes for the quality of the food and friendly service.
- You'll return to the establishment again and again because the food and service was so good.
- 7 countable or uncountable (overhaul, maintenance) the annual servicela revisión or (Latin America) el servicio or (River Plate area) el service anual(before noun) (contract/package)service engineerde mantenimientoExample sentences
- It had failed to refill the gearbox with oil during the pre-delivery service of the car.
- I had to take my car in for a service after squash and had meant to check under the seats in case it had slipped out of my pocket, but forgot.
- By some good fortune we made it to Vals on time, then proceeded to our hotel where we had a bite to eat and then gave the car a service with Jim and the gang.
- 8 countable (Religion)funeral service wedding serviceoficio (masculine) religiosoceremonia (feminine) de bodaExample sentences
- I point out that the wedding is a service of worship in which God is the focus and our goal is to please Him.
- One of the team's goals is to pray during worship services for the church's leaders and ministry.
- One tends to find greater respect for the liturgical nature of our common worship in Anglican services.
- 9 countable (in tennis) you should improve your servicefirst/second service!deberías mejorar el servicio or saqueservice Pombo¡primer/segundo saque or servicio!to break somebody's serviceservicio de Pomboromper el servicio de alguienromperle el servicio a alguien(before noun) (line)service breakde serviciode saqueruptura (feminine) de servicioExample sentences
- We are on the balls of our feet, like tennis players awaiting service, anxiously twiddling our sticks.
- Jenkins served the first four services of the third game, picking up one ace in the process of doing so.
- 10 countablealso: dinner servicetea/coffee servicejuego (masculine) or servicio (masculine) de té/café
- 1 (overhaul, maintain)(car)hacerle una revisión or (Latin America) un servicio or (River Plate area) un service a(machine/appliance)hacerle el mantenimiento aExample sentences
- He was reimbursed only a small amount on account of his disbursements for the use of his car in servicing the machines.
- The electrical and plumbing systems were checked, a new gas boiler was installed, the lifts were serviced and repaired, and the fire safety equipment was also checked and repaired or replaced.
- You may get a locally trained technician to service the machines and robotics.
- 2 (Finance) 2.1(debt/loan)2.2 (look after)pagar los intereses deatender el servicio de [formal]ocuparse deExample sentences
- We have 84,000 people who will be serviced by that organisation.
- Instead, the national debt is simply serviced with the amount of interest paid in any year being a function of the size of the debt and the interest rates on the appropriate debt instruments.
- Remember it is pointless keeping too much surplus money in a savings account if you are also servicing debt at a higher rate of interest.
- Therefore, countries had to increase production of commodities in order to service their debts.
- 3 (Agriculture)Example sentences
- It is then that Jane reads about how bulls never service the same cow twice.
- The queen bee is serviced by her male drones, and then she kills them off one by one.
- It has been known for one male to service 40 females, but it all depends on his size and strength.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to