Translation of shaft in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (of arrow, spear) asta (feminine)‡ , astil (masculine); (of feather) cañón (masculine); (of hammer, ax) mango (masculine); (of cart) vara (feminine)Example sentences1.2 [literary/literario] (arrow) saeta (feminine) [literary/literario]; (spear) venablo (masculine) [literary/literario] a shaft of wit una agudeza his shafts of sarcasm sus salidas sarcásticas
Example sentences1.3 (of light) rayo (masculine)
- The shaft of long handled tools should be a light wood, such as ash, and should be unpainted and free of knots.
- Maintaining a good posture, rotate the upper body to the right so that the shaft of the club is in front of you.
- Move down the shaft of each section of hair and continue tying knots from the root of your hair to about 2 inches from the ends.
- Her heart soared with the swift flash of the shaft as it flew from the bow.
- In an annual commemorative ritual tied to sun and sky, a shaft of light will illuminate the void between the time of the first and second attacks.
- Illuminated by a shaft of light from the ceiling, the altar glowed with brimming power, standing immaculate in the centre of the hall.
- She departed the command center and stepped into a shaft of white light in the atrium outside.
- 2 [Mech] eje (masculine)Example sentences
- The water wheel axle shaft still turned and made a squeaky noise but Don could hear the footsteps of someone on the floor above him.
- The gearbox gets over both problems by being two half-gearboxes in one case, with two clutches and two transmission shafts, one inside the other.
- As far as that goes I am willing to believe what I am told: that escalators are big, complicated machines packed into tight shafts and there aren't many hours when you can work on them.
- 3 (American English/inglés norteamericano) [vulgar] to give sb the shaft joder a algn [vulgar] he got the shaft lo jodieron [vulgar] (he was fired) lo echaron, le dieron la patada [colloquial/familiar]
- 4 (of elevator) hueco (masculine); (of mine) pozo (masculine), tiro (masculine)Example sentences
- By this time the mine had three shafts, many large stopes and hundreds of metres of drives.
- Newspapers lift up the vertical shaft of the alley like small printed angels.
- Athena kneeled down and lifted up what appeared to be only a ventilation shaft, but was in fact an access panel.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo(American English/inglés norteamericano) [vulgar]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.