Translation of sham in Spanish:
- 1.1 c and u (pretense) farsa (feminine), parodia (feminine) his grief was all sham o all a sham su pena era pura comedia or puro teatro [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences1.2 countable/numerable (impostor) farsante (masculine and feminine)
- Rather we read Mark because he is an expert at exposing sham, pretension, and hypocrisy, and because he was the greatest American humorist of the 19th century.
- Second, Barnes agreed with South Carolina editor Z. T. Cody who ‘called the whole signing up business sham and hypocrisy.’
- As a satirist, the writer is unafraid of drawing aside the drapes of hypocrisy and sham that seem to safeguard middle-class ethics.
- The team does not feel the average person today is as ignorant toward shams and charlatans as they might have been just ten years ago.
- He is a great, flabby sham, an actor close to suicide, maybe - and this is an extraordinary display of incipient madness or incorrigible playfulness.
- Yet Pétain was no such thing; he was a lifelong soldier and a genuine war hero, rather than some preening sham in jackboots.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (-mm-)
- [person] fingir* she's not ill; she's just shamming no está enferma; está haciendo teatro [colloquial/familiar]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...