Translation of shatter in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (break)(window/plate)the stone shattered the glasshacer añicos or pedazosshe shattered four world recordsla piedra dejó el cristal hecho añicosechó abajo cuatro récords mundialesExample sentences1.2 (destroy)
(health/nerves)(confidence/hopes)echar por tierra(silence/calm)Example sentences
- With a stealthy leap, Percival broke through the window, shattering pieces of glass over the floor in front of the window, and on the roof right outside it.
- The glass top shattered in a million pieces flying across the room like shrapnel.
- Her mirror that hung on the door was broken - shattered into hundreds of pieces as if fell to the ground.
- The gym hall was strewn with sobbing lassies, their lives ruined, their confidence shattered by human error.
- We must destroy before they shatter our being with their ignorance.
- Early losses can end a team's season, wreck its confidence, shatter its psyche.
- 2 (usually passive) 2.1 (shock) See examples: she was shattered by the news2.2 (exhaust) (British English) [colloquial]that walk has shattered mela noticia la dejó destrozadaI arrived home feeling completely shatteredla caminata me ha dejado hecha polvo or (in Latin America also) de cama [colloquial]llegué a casa hecho polvo or muerto de cansancio [colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to