Although ella is given as the main translation of she, it is in practice used only for emphasis, or to avoid ambiguity: she went to the theater fue al teatro; she went to the theater, he went to the cinema ella fue al teatro y él fue al cine; she did it ella lo hizo.
- 1 (person) ella she's a writer/my sister es escritora/mi hermana she didn't say it, I did no fue ella quien lo dijo, sino yo don't ask me, she's the expert no me preguntes a mí, la experta es ella Lisa Swenson? who's she? ¿Lisa Swenson? ¿quién es Lisa Swenson? could I speak to Mary, please? — this is she (AmE) ¿podría hablar con Mary, por favor? — al aparato or habla con ella he's as tall as she is o [formal] as tall as she es tan alto como ella
- 2 (ship, boat) she's a sturdy vessel es un barco sólidoMore example sentences
- This was the Danish ship Flora, and she steamed straight for the anchored Gwladmena.
- The crew had raced out and were able to get them off the ship before she sank.
- He also moved to dispel what he said was the myth that Queen Mary never sailed in convoy because she was too quick.