Translation of shear in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (past tense of/pasado de sheared past participle of/participio pasado de, shorn)
- 1 [sheep] esquilar, trasquilar; [hair/curls] cortar her hair was shorn (off) le cortaron el pelo the shorn heads of the prisoners las cabezas rapadas de los presos to be shorn
ofsth [formal], ser* despojado dealgo [formal]Example sentences
- One notable exception is that only women shear sheep and only men shear goats.
- Consequently, the cost of shearing a sheep sometimes exceeds the price at which the wool can be sold.
- ‘I would like to advise farmers who are shearing their sheep and goats to cover their livestock as it looks like we are going to have a cold winter,’ Greyling said.
- When he rose it was to shear off all his hair, and to order to have all the ornaments in the city taken off the walls and the manes and tails of all the horses sheared as well.
- It is one year and two days since I sheared my hair off.
- The reason for the sharp is they shear the hair instead of splintering it.
- 2(past participle of/participio pasado de sheared)(break) [bolt/shaft] romper*Example sentences
- In race two he burst from ninth on the grid to hold an excellent third place before his gear change sheared off in a close tangle with second placed Rick Ellis, leaving him in fourth gear for the rest of the race.
- The main landing gear had been sheared off and the nosegear was twisted, bent backwards and jammed into the fuselage aft of the wheelwell.
- The original cornice was sheared off from the existing backup stone and replaced with new marble.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (past participle of/participio pasado de sheared)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Did you know that Antena 3 was Spain's first private television channel? It began broadcasting in 1989. Its proprietors include the conservative newspapers La Vanguardia and ABC.