n (plural shelves)
- 1 1.1 (in cupboard, bookcase) estante (m), balda (f) (Spain/España) ; (on wall) estante (m), anaquel (m), repisa (f), balda (f) (Spain/España) ; (in oven) parrilla (feminine) a set of shelves unos estantes, una estantería to be left on the shelf quedarse para vestir santosMore example sentences1.2off the shelf you can buy it off the shelf se puede comprar hecho
- The pieces were displayed on shelves, propped against the wall, emphasizing their three-dimensionality.
- The painters, who had promised me two days notice to remove everything from walls, shelves and large pieces of furniture, instead gave me a few hours.
- Free-standing shelves provide excellent storage and can be taken with you when you move.
- 2 [Geology/Geología] banco (m), bajo (m), arrecife (m) continental shelf plataforma (feminine) continentalMore example sentences
More example sentences
- There were, broadly speaking, three tracts of relevant land: there is the rock shelf, which was tidal…
- A dusty pile of sheet rock tumbled from one of the high, unsteady shelves and landed beside Barbara.
- I pull the rope bag out and drop it on the ledge in front of my shins, padding the rock shelf so I can lean into it.
- This problem with the sediment trap technique is probably restricted to the continental slope and shelf and will not occur over abyssal depths.
- Recruitment patterns of these species along the shelf were then used to infer water-mass distributions along the shelf.
- Zebra sharks are primarily bottom dwellers that live in warm shallow inland waters, of continental and island shelves.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Most first names in Spanish-speaking countries are those of saints. A person's santo, (also known as onomástico in Latin America and onomástica in Spain) is the saint's day of the saint that they are named for. Children were once usually named for the saint whose day they were born on, but this is less common now.