n (pl shelves)
- 1 1.1 (in cupboard, bookcase) estante (m), balda (f) (Esp) ; (on wall) estante (m), anaquel (m), repisa (f), balda (f) (Esp) ; (in oven) parrilla (f) a set of shelves unos estantes, una estantería to be left on the shelf quedarse para vestir santosMore example sentences1.2off the shelf you can buy it off the shelf se puede comprar hecho
- The pieces were displayed on shelves, propped against the wall, emphasizing their three-dimensionality.
- The painters, who had promised me two days notice to remove everything from walls, shelves and large pieces of furniture, instead gave me a few hours.
- Free-standing shelves provide excellent storage and can be taken with you when you move.
- 2 [Geol] banco (m), bajo (m), arrecife (m) continental shelf plataforma (f) continentalMore example sentences
More example sentences
- There were, broadly speaking, three tracts of relevant land: there is the rock shelf, which was tidal…
- A dusty pile of sheet rock tumbled from one of the high, unsteady shelves and landed beside Barbara.
- I pull the rope bag out and drop it on the ledge in front of my shins, padding the rock shelf so I can lean into it.
- This problem with the sediment trap technique is probably restricted to the continental slope and shelf and will not occur over abyssal depths.
- Recruitment patterns of these species along the shelf were then used to infer water-mass distributions along the shelf.
- Zebra sharks are primarily bottom dwellers that live in warm shallow inland waters, of continental and island shelves.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The RAE (Real Academia de la Lengua Española) is a body established in the eighteenth century to record and preserve the Spanish language. It is made up of académicos, who are normally well-known literary figures and/or academic experts on the Spanish language. The RAE publishes the Diccionario de la Real Academia Española, which is regarded as an authority on correct Spanish. Affiliated academies exist in Latin American countries.