Translation of shield in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (History, Military) riot shieldExample sentences1.2 (escutcheon)
Example sentences1.3 (badge)
- Patrick whipped out his new shield and the shield defended against the blow.
- The children are also learning to march like a tortoise as the Romans did, with shields at their side and on top.
- Doune then caught a heavy blow to his left side, his shield blunting the force of the blow, but stumbled backwards and fell onto his back.
Example sentences1.4 (trophy) (British English)
- The Shire Hall at the castle, which contains one of the biggest displays of heraldic shields in the country, is world famous and 30 years ago staged the trial of the Birmingham Six.
- The shield and crest are displayed on William Shakespeare's monument and on Susanna Hall's seal.
- Upon the shield was the traditional animal, a large bore head with the royal house sword of battle behind it.
placa (feminine) (en forma de escudo)
- And I will carry this: It is the police shield of a man named George Howard, who died at the World Trade Center trying to save others.
- Somebody's in the uniform where they had a badge, or a shield.
- 2 (protective cover)(on machine) revestimiento (masculine)(of animal) caparazón (masculine or feminine)eye shieldvisera (feminine) protectoraExample sentences
- Actually, this is a shield to prevent gas from blowing back in the shooter's face in the rare event of a failure of some kind.
- These X-rays heated the interior of the bomb and the tamper; the shield prevented premature detonation of the fuel.
- The design incorporates a shield which prevents the thumb safely and rear sight from robbing against the body.
- The fusion of the cephalic segments is most obvious when a cephalic shield or carapace is present.
- One photograph of an internal mold of the dorsal shield shows a ‘faint impression of the brain.’
- The dorsal shield was pierced by a single, large, nostril-like opening situated in the middle of the head in front of the eyes.
- to shield something/somebody (
fromsomebody/something)proteger algo/a alguien (to shield somebody from reality dealguien/algo)proteger a alguien de la realidadthe bushes shielded them from viewlos matorrales los ocultabanshielded cableExample sentences
- He can do all this and more, but only if he knows the truth and is not shielded behind a cocoon of manufactured perceptions.
- When our hero passed, she could barely look him in the eye, she just shielded herself behind her sympathetic companions.
- As I am sitting on the floor and shielded by the shelves it is basically impossible to see me from the creative room.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.