- uncountable (stones)guijarros (masculine plural)(before noun) shingle beachplaya (feminine) de guijarrosExample sentences
- There were also sand dunes and shingle banks that were later used for building roads in the new town.
- Most of the Thames Bank is shingle and stone so sand is relatively rare.
- I find soft, powdery sand, hard sand, loose shingle banks and a couple of streams.
- 1 (Construction)(teja plana y delgada, gen de madera)Example sentences
- Remove enough of the roof shingles, tiles, gravel, or other roofing material down to the tar paper.
- Roofs may be covered with tiles, wooden shingles, or zinc sheets.
- Check that your roof isn't missing any shingles, tiles, slates or nails.
- 2shingle (cut) (haircut)corte (masculine) a la or a lo garçonne or garçonsee also→ shingles
- 3 (signboard)(American English)to put o hang up one's shingle [colloquial]
placa (feminine)abrir una consulta ( or bufete etc)Example sentences
- This is my only reason for justifying the shingle hanging outside in the boulevard.
- So, I'll leave my shingle hanging outside this virtual stoop a while longer.
- The shingle on his door says that he is a Jungian analyst.
cubrir con guijarrosExample sentences
- Once the flat planes of the roof have been shingled, you will need to apply the hip shingles, if you have a hip roof, which will be overlapped by the ridge shingles.
- The roof was shingled with maroon tiles, and the chimney was made mostly of red brick.
- So, after two years and $1.4 billion of preparation this is where we're at: a bunch of skilled scientists doing the outer-space equivalent of shingling a roof.
cortar a la or a lo garçonne or garçonExample sentences
- My hair is shingled, and the longest strands are about nine inches long.
- And although shingled hair was wildly popular in the period, it still seems to have connoted rejection of traditional relationships.
- He had taken a liking to my mother, who looked more forward than she was, with her shingled hair and very short skirt showing a lot of silk stocking.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.