- 1.1 (of fish)Example sentences1.2 (large number)
- All the same we took about thirty fish from the shoal before they became too cross with us to feed on.
- Huge dense shoals of fish cover the forward quarter of the wreck.
- Last year they found some big shoals of bream below Kings Lawn and really hammered them out.
- In the end I found a whole shoal of them in the sports section.
- Before the current intifada began in 2000, shoals of tourists made it difficult to move in these lanes.
- The popular take-away and restaurant in Chippenham has been short-listed for the area title of the contest, after shoals of nominations from its customers.
- (sandbank)Example sentences
- Of course, an unintended consequence of these jetties was that they created offshore shoals and sandbars that tended to magnify the waves here.
- These offer information about shifting shoals, sandbars and such that can be critical for boaters and productive for fishers.
- Oregon's lighthouses were all but inaccessible when they were built in the 19th century, near shoals and sandbars, treacherous offshore rocks and reefs.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.