Translation of shop in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (retail outlet) to go to the shops what time do the shops close?¿a qué hora cierran las tiendas?all over the shop (British English) [colloquial]por todas partesExample sentences1.2 (business) [colloquial]to set up shop as a doctor
abrir una consultato shut up shop business got so bad we had to shut up shop
- Pet shops and supermarkets sell a huge variety of flea dips and shampoos for your pet.
- The goods sold in these shops are a wide variety of household goods and furniture.
- She designs framing for art and sells it to retail shops and furniture stores.
establecerse como médiconos iba tan mal, que tuvimos que cerrar (el negocio)to talk shophablar del trabajo
intransitive verb -pp-
- hacer comprasto go shopping
comprarir de compras or de tiendasI have no time to shop during the weekno tengo tiempo de hacer compras durante la semanaI don't shop thereyo no compro allíwe spent the whole afternoon shoppingpasamos toda la tarde haciendo comprasto shop
forsomethingwe were shopping for Christmas presentsestábamos comprando los regalos de Navidadshe went shopping for a winter coatsalió a buscar un abrigo de invierno
transitive verb -pp-
- 1 (inform on)(British English) [slang]
- Police are encouraging the public to use the drugs hotline and shop a dealer.
- Even off the record he was unprepared to shop a man who, we both knew, was making his life very difficult at that time.
- School children in Cleckheaton are being urged to shop drug dealers to a confidential helpline.
- 2 (visit store)(American English)
- When we go shopping we have to pick up some stuff the decorator requested.
- Go shopping and pick out the stuff you like at any store, then wait a few weeks and go back to get it when it's sitting on the sale rack.
- If one pair gives you blisters go shopping and pick up a new pair.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.