- 1 (expressing desirability)debería ( or deberías etc. )you should be studying
debiera ( or debieras etc. )deberías or debieras estar estudiandoshe shouldn't treat her friends like that
tendrías que estar estudiandono debería or debiera tratar así a sus amigosyou should have thought of that beforedeberías or debieras haber pensado en eso antesI've brought you some flowers — oh, you shouldn't have
tendrías or tenías que haber pensado en eso anteste he traído unas flores — ¡no te deberías or debieras haber molestado! or ¡no te tenías or tendrías que haber molestado!shall I invite them? — I think you should¿los invito? — creo que deberías hacerlothat is as it should beasí es como debe seryou should've seen the look on her face!¡tenías or tendrías que haber visto la cara que puso!I didn't have any breakfast — you should've said!no desayuné — ¡me lo hubieras dicho! or ¡habérmelo dicho!Example sentences
- They should make it their duty to make everything as simple and straightforward for you as possible.
- When a person enters the army, they have to swear an oath, and they should fulfil their obligation.
- At the very least the council should assume a duty of care to all the kids using this scheme.
- 2 (indicating probability, logical expectation)debería ( or deberías etc. ) (de)it should add up to 100
debiera ( or debieras etc. ) (de)tendría que or debería (de) or debiera (de) dar or sumar 100how should I know?¿cómo quieres que sepa?why should they want to come here?
¿cómo voy a saber (yo)?¿por qué han or habrían de querer venir aquí?Example sentences
- All these factors should be enough to gain Magee victory, probably on points.
- The yellow bus scheme should alleviate any worries parents have about public transport.
- Having won in Katowice, England should be good enough to do it again at home.
- 3 (with first person only) 3.1 (conditional use) (British) [formal]I should like to see herme gustaría verlaI shouldn't have mentioned it if he hadn't asked me tono lo habría or hubiera mencionado si él no me hubiera preguntadoI shouldn't be surprised if they didn't turn upno me sorprendería que no aparecieranI should be grateful if you would send me the detailsle agradecería (que) tuviera la gentileza de enviarme la informaciónExample sentences3.2 (venturing a guess) (British) I shouldn't think the chairs are very old
no me parece que las sillas sean muy antiguasI should think she must be over 80yo diría que debe tener más de 80will they be finished by Friday? — I shouldn't think so¿terminarán antes del viernes? — no creo or no me pareceshe's a little upset — I should think she is, poor thingestá un poco disgustada — y es lógico, pobrecitaExample sentences3.3 (expressing indignation) he said he was sorry — I should think so too!
- A friend suggested if I were an American, I should pass the US Foreign Service exam.
- I signed a ‘living will’, making it clear that, if I were terminally ill, I should receive no more than palliative care.
pidió perdón — ¡faltaría más! or ¡era lo menos que podía hacer!she won't be asking us for any money — I should think not!no nos va a pedir dinero — ¡faltaría más! or ¡sería el colmo!
- In the final analysis, we should hope that fear of global warming will subside.
- I should imagine the Elliotts feel the same way.
- It's not overly complicated, which would appeal to the majority I should imagine.
- 4 (subjunctive use) (with all persons) it is essential that you should be presentes indispensable que estés presenteit's natural that he should want to go with heres natural or lógico que quiera ir con ellaI'm sorry he should see it like thatsiento que él lo vea de esa maneraif you should happen to pass a bookshop …si pasaras or si llegaras a pasar por una librería …Example sentences
- You would think that people with this distressing condition should not be in jail at all.
- He believed there should be a stamp duty or tax on a second seller of rezoned land.
- One of the features of the new mood is that religion should be effective in the marketplace.
- If he feels that strongly about the current situation should he not be campaigning for someone else?
- Perhaps other people in my situation should not disregard this opportunity if offered.
- Huntley said that should such a situation arise, he would report it to a senior member of staff.
- 5 5.1 (expressing amused surprise) and who should turn up but her ex-husband!¿y quién te parece que apareció? ¡su exmarido!what should she come out with at the critical moment but … ?¿y no va y en el momento crítico sale con que … ?Example sentences5.2 (in exclamations) [ironic]he said she drinks too much — he should talk!
dijo que ella bebe demasiado — ¡mira quién habla!they should complain! I was waiting twice as long as them¡yo sí que me puedo quejar, que estuve esperando el doble que ellos!
- I snuck downstairs into the luxurious media headquarters, and who should I see but the two girls from that now-famous beer commercial.
- Our photographer was dispatched to get a picture of the distressed bird lover, but on the way back, what should he see but 30 ducks waddling towards him.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.