- 1 1.1 [Anatomy/Anatomía] hombro (masculine) the dress can be worn off the shoulder(s) el vestido puede llevarse con los hombros al descubierto to have broad shoulders ser* ancho de hombros or de espaldas to shrug one's shoulders encogerse* de hombros the responsibility for it was placed entirely on his shoulders le cargaron toda la culpa that will take o lift a burden off our shoulders eso nos va a quitar un peso de encima to look over one's shoulder mirar por encima del hombro I keep feeling there's someone looking over my shoulder tengo la sensación de que me están vigilando to stand shoulder to shoulder estar* hombro con hombro we must stand shoulder to shoulder on this issue tenemos que estar codo con codo en este asunto to cry o weep on sb's shoulder desahogarse* con algn a shoulder to cry on un paño de lágrimas straight from the shoulder sin rodeos give it to them straight from the shoulder díselo sin rodeos to give sb the cold shoulder hacerle* el vacío a algn to put o set one's shoulder to the wheel arrimar el hombro to rub shoulders with sb codearse con algnMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 [Clothing/Indumentaria] hombro (masculine) a jacket with padded shoulders una chaqueta con hombreras
- Occasionally it starts in one region such as the neck and shoulders and spreads over a period of time.
- Sitting at a desk all day puts pressure on your lower back, neck and shoulders.
- The neck, shoulder and wrist should be examined carefully in the patient with elbow pain.
More example sentences1.3 [Cookery/Cocina] paletilla (f), paleta (f)
- It is such a pity that their time and our taxes are being wasted on something which has the majority of our citizens shrugging their shoulder.
- At the end they didn't actually leave the stage but just stumbled around shrugging their shoulders looking lost.
- Instead of shrugging his shoulders, he became agitated and a sarcastic torrent of words flew out.
More example sentences
- All that's needed is a canvas khaki green belt, or even a jacket with patch pockets and very defined shoulders.
- Making alterations to other areas, such as the shoulders, back or lapels will change the intended design of the suit.
- Conventionally sew the garment shoulder and side seams and press the seam allowances open.
- Some areas cook the entire hog, others just the pork shoulder, some make pulled pork.
- From the hams and shoulders he will peel off the outside meat as dog food, but will keep some of the inside meat for his family.
- The blacksmith, having just purchased a shoulder of mutton, is triumphantly waving it in the air.
- 2 (of road) (American English/inglés norteamericano) arcén (m), berma (f) (Andes) , acotamiento (masculine) (Mexico/México) , banquina (feminine) (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) , hombrillo (masculine) (Venezuela)More example sentences
- My partner and I had parked on the shoulder of the highway and began to chat.
- Because of the darkness of the night, Dawn nearly missed the black Jaguar parked on the shoulder of the road.
- She made her way all the way across the freeway to the left shoulder.
- 1.1 (place on shoulder) [knapsack] ponerse* or echarse al hombro; [blame/responsibility] cargar* con shoulder arms! ¡al hombro, ar!More example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (push) empujar con el hombro I was shouldered aside me hicieron a un lado a empujones to shoulder one's way abrirse* paso a empujones
- As it has turned out, the more appropriate implement to have been shouldered that day would have been shovels.
- She shoulders a surprisingly long spear, perhaps to ward off the ardent king, although by that time she had been scarred by smallpox and he had mostly given up his advances.
- Even the battalion chaplain, Steve Hommel, ended up shouldering an M16 rifle.
More example sentences
- Others before him have shouldered the burden of responsibility at a young age.
- Equally, it is important to understand the way in which the military shoulder their duties and responsibilities during a war.
- We have to be prepared to shoulder the responsibility and accept the consequences of knowing the truth.
- He reached down to pick up his son, but Hoss shouldered him aside.
- I walked past him calmly, but when I was at his side, I used all the force I could and shouldered him forcefully.
- Nevertheless, on his way to escort them out of the club, one of the security personnel shouldered me aside and trod heavily on my foot.